Thread: Temps!

Temps!

Just fitted a Red pro-rep 40w (can't find a 25w bayonette Type) Bulb. High end Temp has levelled at 35*C and low end temp is around 20*C Is the High end temp to high?
    ATB, Rod

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: Temps!

35C is a little high, is that a surface temp directly below the bulb? For a T. marcianus I think you're looking at 30C tops for the warm end.
    Can you put it on a dimming stat (or come to that a light dimmer would probably do the job) to maintain a lower temp?
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

That's what I thought chris but there is a massive diff (15*C)between the temps at either end of the viv, and that is in just 30". The Temp diff is seems too much?
    ATB, Rod

On the basis that the snake will thermoregulate themselves, the gradient is good. The question is really whether having a high temp on the warm side would be too hot, and you'd therefore end up with a section of the viv that doesn't get used because it's too warm.
    Having said that, if the warm hide is under the the lamp in the hot spot, depending on the hide material the inside of the hide would be cooler.

I'd be interested to know what others think. It may or may not be a problem.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

The piece of wood that is in the pics of the Viv doubles as a basking spot and hide. I have moved the thermometer just 1" further away from where it read 35*C and it settled at 28*C. So it may be OK? As for Hide material, while I'm on the subject, apart from shredded Aspen and eco-earth is the any clean and hygenic pelleted substrate available in the UK?
    ATB, Rod

Carefresh is available in the UK, I've not used it, but it's palletised and may suit what you need.

If the temp is lower a little bit away from the hotspot then it sounds like you have a good warm side and a higher temp spot for some heavy duty basking.
    Chris

Yeah it looks that way. I had this sort of set up a long time ago and never had any probs. The fact that the back is made from natural coloured Peg Board means very good ventilation. I am going to use the same backing when I build the stacks later this year.
    ATB, Rod

Carefresh ordered. ;-)
    ATB, Rod