Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Preparing For First shed" 05brandon50's Avatar

Lighting Question

Hey guys and gals!

I was wondering on lighting for garters. Since they (for the most part) are a diurnal species, do I need special lighting for them? If so, UVA or UVB? My house stays around 80° F so I'm not too worried about heat lamps or having a basking spot. Do garters really benefit from having a basking/heat spot? I've read that some people say that garters don't need any type of heat source whereas some said that they do. I personally used to have one with my old parietalis but he never was out basking.

I'm going shopping at petco tomorrow with a $50 budget to get my little Rita a glass tank so let me know if I should get a heat bulb and/or stop by a hardware shop and pick up some "special" light bulbs.

Thanks!
    Last edited by 05brandon50; 07-13-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    1 corn: August
    1 ball python: Kenya
    1 red sided garter: Rita
    Brandon

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Re: Lighting Question

I wouldn't spend money on "special" lights or bulbs. An inexpensive lamp or work light fixture and a low-wattage incandescent bulb are really all you need.

Garters can live in 80f, but personally, I'd try to vary the temp in the tank, so that you have one end at least a few degrees higher. Having a warm end and a cool end will allow the snake to have more control over their thermoregulation. If the temp is a constant 80f, it might be harder for the snake to get comfortable.

Here's what I use; you can get them pretty cheap at your local chain department or hardware store:

150-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light-CE-300PDQ at The Home Depot
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Didymus20X6 View Post
    I wouldn't spend money on "special" lights or bulbs. An inexpensive lamp or work light fixture and a low-wattage incandescent bulb are really all you need.
    I already have old fixtures from when I used to breed chameleons so I should be good there. What wattage bulb should I get? Like a 60w or something higher like a 100w?

Thanks!
    Brandon

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

I use 25 to 40 watt in the summer, larger in the winter. Trade up/down so your temperature is in your desired range.
    A lot depends on cage size and surrounding room temps.

I agree with what the others have said. I find that some garters really enjoy basking...others don't do it so much. I keep most of my heat lamps off in the summer. I use low wattage for light if necessary. I wouldn't keep a garter in 80 degree temps all the time. I would want the snake to be able to have a warm side in the 80's and a cool side that is kept around 75...and I would want the tank to be able to dip down to lower temps at night if possible.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

A 13 watt spiral is plenty, and they can be found at dollar stores.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

The florescent lights don't give off much heat. Great for light when you don't want a lot of heat.

I use a 60w incandescent, about 1 foot above the enclosure. This seems to keep the enclosure around 85f. I use a 25w florescent above the water enclosure just for light.

Also, I use a cheap timer to turn the lights on during the day and off at night.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Ok guys I made a couple of changes to her enclosure. I switched her to a 5.5 gallon tank, repticarpet as opposed to aspen, smaller hide until she gets larger, and added a 60w incandescent light as a heat source.

Here's a pic of her setup!

Thanks for all the advice about the lighting!
    Brandon

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Nice set up! But you know baby garters grow like weeds, so in a couple of months she would most likely need a bigger enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Snake View Post
    Nice set up! But you know baby garters grow like weeds, so in a couple of months she would most likely need a bigger enclosure.
    Not a problem! I have pretty much one of every cage size in my backyard from keeping tropical fish, other snakes, and lizards!
    I just needed a small enclosure with a better lid for her tiny size and lighting.
    Brandon