My fussy little snake.

After I dropped Garry's feeding down to every 4-5 days he doesn't seem that interested in food and when he does decide to eat he only takes fish and worms but completely ignores the pinkies.He used to get really exited when caught scent of pinkies.Before when I was feeding him every 2-3 days he would go after every thing that moved.Is it normal for snakes to change their eating habits?
    Will

Re: My fussy little snake.

Mine take time to adjust when I change things up. Sometimes they just go off food if I don't feed them when they're used to it. My schedule now, though, is just random.. They seemed to be used to the little random stuff now.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quite normal for them to go off food for any random reason, and then come back on to it for equally random reasons. I've now given up worrying about non-feeding unless I see any other cause for concern, or if they go off food for too long (which for an adult is months rather than weeks).
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Thanks guys.I guess he's just being an awkward teenager
    Will

Sometimes this time of year, they will start slowing down on the eating. Mine will become sporadic and not eat for weeks but will pick up their appetites again towards Febraury and March. Just keep offering small amounts of food, so as not to waste your supply.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Adult snake

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2many View Post
    Just keep offering small amounts of food, so as not to waste your supply.
    What I do is feed the picky/off food snakes first. If they eat, great, if not, the food goes to an eater. Then I prepare more food based on how many others still need to eat. It's more timeconsuming but less wasteful.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

He ate normally yesterday on some worms.I remember reading posts from members that say their snakes sometimes goes through fazes where they will only eat one type of food item,I'm thinking that could be a possibility.
    Will

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

If you find he is only interested in worms try making like a worm mush. lol I've done it and it works awesome. I chop a worm in normal sized bites but then take about half of it and keep chopping it... keep chopping... little more. Now you should have half a worm in bite size chunks and half a worm in mush form, Place bite size in dish, now take the food item you are trying to feed like say a mouse Chopped up as needed and slather it in the mush. place the mouse in the dish and place remaining mush on top the mouse chunks. add a few drops of water and presto!

... I feel like I should be on a cooking show... lol for Garters
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Dae View Post
    If you find he is only interested in worms try making like a worm mush. lol I've done it and it works awesome. I chop a worm in normal sized bites but then take about half of it and keep chopping it... keep chopping... little more. Now you should have half a worm in bite size chunks and half a worm in mush form, Place bite size in dish, now take the food item you are trying to feed like say a mouse Chopped up as needed and slather it in the mush. place the mouse in the dish and place remaining mush on top the mouse chunks. add a few drops of water and presto!

... I feel like I should be on a cooking show... lol for Garters
    Sounds divine.I'll give it a go next feeding.
    Will