Hi, I'm New Here!

Just a question about nutrition

You guys are probably sick of this question but here it goes..

Is it really necessary to eventually feed a garter mice, I mean, can you feed him or her on a diet of fish and worms his/her whole life and be assured that she/he will be as healthy as a mice fed garter? And do mice have more nutritional values than fish? Is it possible that a mice fed garter might live longer with a more nutritionally balanced meal or the other way a round?

cheers..

Re: Just a question about nutrition

This has been the subject of much debate in the past;
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husb...ht=rodent+diet
    Personally, I feel a fish/worm/amphibian diet is quite acceptable. Others have different views, particularly about amphibians. But mice are not essential to a Garters' well being.
    James.

I agree with James, I try to feed my snakes one or two fish meals a month, instead of only mice.
    1.1.1 T.p.orarius Gulf Coast Ribbon
    1.0 T.e.vagrans Wandering Garter

Shine on you crazy diamond

Variety is always best. The mouse diet is one that allows garters to exist on a food source that is easily controlable and available. Unless you breed your own worms or fish, you really don't know what you're getting a lot of the time. There are businesses that are completely devoted to breeding high quality rodents for reptiles. As far as amphibians, in the wild I think this is a HUGE component of garter diets. The only problem is getting good, parasite free supply of amphibians. Also have to consider that with the way global amphibian populations are crashing, do you really want to be going outside and gathering frogs or toads for a snake that is just as happy with mice? I feed my snakes a diet primarily of mice and supplement with fish fillet, rosy reds or other thiaminase free fish and my own captive earthworms.

Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanx, I think ill go with not feeding him mice, although i dont think id feed him amphibians anyway partly owing to the fact that they might carry parasites and also, as Garterguy said, it would be unacceptable because of the decline in the amphibian population.. And as for a mice based diet, i'm getting quite a lot of criticisms from my animal rights supporter friends because of the inhumane treatment and killing of mice for snake feeding :/ Anyone have any opinions on that matter?

They are killed humanely. The pinkies can be frozen alive, they haven't developed their nerve endings yet so they won't feel a thing. How do they think they kill them?
    1.1.1 T.p.orarius Gulf Coast Ribbon
    1.0 T.e.vagrans Wandering Garter

Shine on you crazy diamond

and snakes eat mice in the wild all the time......thats what they are here for...

I feed chicken hearts to my adult snakes in addition to their most fish diet.
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman