Hi, I'm New Here!

Unhappy Help! Garter snake has something stuck in throat!

Yesterday I was riding my bike, when my mother noticed a small garter snake. It wasn't move, so I touched it. It moved it head, so I picked it up, and noticed a very, very faint lump in it's throat. It's high enough that it's preventing it from turning it's head, and i think it is having trouble move, too. I've tried leaving it outside to see if it will slither away, but I come back an hour or two later, and it's still there!
    Is there anything I can do to help it?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: Help! Garter snake has something stuck in throat!

This can be so many different things. Did you happen to snap a picture? Wild garters are subjected to a lot of dangers in injuries , illnesses and a overall shortened lifespan. Could be a parasitic infestation internally, maybe it's a pathological swelling such as a tumor, a internal obstruction from a prey item. Hard to say for sure. Maybe consider taking it to a rescue center near you that accepts reptiles.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Re: Help! Garter snake has something stuck in throat!

As Albert said, difficult to diagnose. It certainly doesn't sound good and this snake may have very limited time left. For a wild snake to being unable to move to find cover is a death sentence. I agree with trying to find a rescue center.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee