Thread: Garter books

Garter books

I was searching Amazon for herp books when i came across this book,The Garter snake:evolution and ecology.The Garter Snakes: Evolution and Ecology Animal Natural History: Amazon.co.uk: Douglas A. Rossman, etc., Neil B. Ford, Richard A. Seigel: Books.
    Does anyone know if it's any good?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

Re: Garter books

its getting a little outdated but its a great book

It's what we refer to as "the bible" on this forum. Most members have it and use it as a reference guide for pretty much all garter info...definitely worth buying.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Does it cover husbandry or just the natural history?

It covers a bit of everything really...but it's more of a scholarly read...more of a reference text than a care book. It has range maps, identification procedures...explaining the anatomy of the snake and how to count scales, etc., info on all the species and subspecies, discussion of ecology, behavior, and distribution in the wild, as well as captive care.

There are a couple of decent books on care...Bartlett and Bartlett have a pretty decent one...Barron's Reptile Keeper's Guides: Garter and Ribbon Snakes...also found on Amazon. I like that one. That would discuss husbandry more. But I would definitely recommend getting the Ecology and Evolution book. We use it and reference it all the time on here.

I don't know that there are any books out there on husbandry alone. Many garter books leave a lot to be desired. The Bartlett book isn't bad. Another one I found on Amazon that is pretty decent is Garter and Water Snakes by David Perlowin.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe