Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snake racks

Never shed

Snake racks

Have someone experience with keeping garters in plastic tubs in a snakeracksystem?
    Garter snakes , Ball pythons , Burmese pythons , corn snakes , Green iguana's , tortoises , ferrets , dogs , cats , mini pigs ,...

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: Snake racks

I'm sure there are some that use racks, but most of us like to see our garters so keep them in vivariums rather than tubs and racks. Tubs can be useful for babies though.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Garters like to move and explore, they are a very curious snake. The more room you give them and things to explore the better.
    Just my opinion.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I don't understand why people would use a rack system for anything living, except maybe bugs. That's like putting someone in isolation and that's done as punishment!! No living creature deserves that. IMO.

If I could, I would let mine have run of the house.
    Mona (T.S. sirtalis) Melanistic
    Fiona (T.S similis) Normal

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

+1 on that...i would love at least 40 gallon size for each but can get a little spendy so i aquire used ones at yard sales and whatnot....he who dies with the most aquariums wins!

Quote Originally Posted by gibble888 View Post
    +1 on that...i would love at least 40 gallon size for each but can get a little spendy so i aquire used ones at yard sales and whatnot....he who dies with the most aquariums wins!
    Don't forget Craigslist!
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

I forgot to tell that i only want to use this rack for animals that are sick , pregnant or just out of hibernation.
    Some animals i take inside to hibernate in a box in the barn and some animals stay in their own hibernaculum in their outdoor enclosure.
    The rest of the year they will have much much more space than 40 gallons ;-)
    Garter snakes , Ball pythons , Burmese pythons , corn snakes , Green iguana's , tortoises , ferrets , dogs , cats , mini pigs ,...

Quote Originally Posted by SD Reptiles View Post
    I forgot to tell that i only want to use this rack for animals that are sick , pregnant or just out of hibernation.
    Some animals i take inside to hibernate in a box in the barn and some animals stay in their own hibernaculum in their outdoor enclosure.
    The rest of the year they will have much much more space than 40 gallons ;-)
    With that being said I would say racks are OK. I use tubs for quarantine animals or newborns.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"First shed, A Success" the_edsta's Avatar

Lets slow down here! The common rack system offers 3sq ft of space per level, which is MORE floor space than a 20 gal long container. Throw a nice hide, some substrate, and a water bowl in there and you can stack six on top of each other in only 45" of height! Hard to beat that for practicality. I keep my garters in tanks because they are active, but I have a milk in a nice tank and I'm taking him out. He hates that I can see him and prefers the safety of the rack. I'd imagine the clear tank would be wasted on a BP as well.

Lets just not forget that the clear glass is for US, not them. If we start feeling a certain sense of altruism... Might as well open the back door and let these critters loose!
    1.0 Florida Blue (Sirtalis), 1.0 Parietalis, 1.1 Marcianus
    0.1 infernalis, 1.0 Eques obscurus
    6.5 Pantherophis 0.1 Scarlet King; 1.0 Cali King; 1.1 PueblaCorn;
    2.3 Milk/King hybrids (new!)

"First shed, A Success" the_edsta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    I don't understand why people would use a rack system for anything living, except maybe bugs. That's like putting someone in isolation and that's done as punishment!! No living creature deserves that. IMO.

If I could, I would let mine have run of the house.
    If having one snake in a tub is solitary confinement, then isn't putting three in a tank just like being in the general population (still in a prison)? I know garters are social, but many other snakes kept in captivity are not. They prefer to be in a warm, safe place where food is abundant.... And many owners who want what is best for them use racks. It really does depend on the species, not our own projections onto the animal.
    1.0 Florida Blue (Sirtalis), 1.0 Parietalis, 1.1 Marcianus
    0.1 infernalis, 1.0 Eques obscurus
    6.5 Pantherophis 0.1 Scarlet King; 1.0 Cali King; 1.1 PueblaCorn;
    2.3 Milk/King hybrids (new!)