Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

New To Garter Snakes

Hey, my name is Rodney. I have been active in raising, breeding & doing rescue work with Ball Pythons for over a year now. I also do metal detecting & while I was out, doing some "Urban Dirt Fishing", I came across a decent sized snake, that I determined to not be venomous. He was in a bad area, where there were alot of kids & women walking through this park & I knew that sooner or later somebody would be stomping on this guy for no other reason other than, he was a snake. Anyway, I brought him home set him up in a tank with water & a hide & began doing some research. I think I may keep him a while, get a couple good meals in him & find a respectable place to turn him loose again, depending on what I learn about him & where a respectable place would best be. Any information would be greatly appreciated, from the two of us. We live in Syracuse, NY by the way.
    photo 1.jpgDSC01687.jpgclose-up.jpg

Re: New To Garter Snakes

Welcome aboard.

Nice to have you with us. Here's a link to the forum care sheet which is always a good read.
    Looks to me like you've got a T. s. pallidulus (Maritime garter snake)

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Fourth shed In Progress" slipknot711's Avatar

welcome! this is a great forum, you will learn tons! garters are great! i have a few WC at the moment. but i also own 4 ball pythons
    Ashley: instagram-> @ashes1187

Hi, I'm New Here!

The difference between Ball Pythons & Garter Snakes Is Huge. Generally, when I'm talking to people that are interested in buying one of mine, I run them through a series of questions & let them know EXACTLY what it takes to keep them healthy & "happy". By then, they usually change their mind & I direct them towards an easier species to care for. Now, I can add Garter snake to the list.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Here are a few belly shots. As time went on, "he" was getting used to the idea that, he was going to have his picture taken. We took a break & I let him calm down, with his head inside my cupped hand on the table (like an ostrich hiding).
    A.jpgB.jpgC.jpgIt was worse than trying to get a group picture, of ALL my grand kids at ONCE! lol

Female
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    The difference between Ball Pythons & Garter Snakes Is Huge. Generally, when I'm talking to people that are interested in buying one of mine, I run them through a series of questions & let them know EXACTLY what it takes to keep them healthy & "happy". By then, they usually change their mind & I direct them towards an easier species to care for. Now, I can add Garter snake to the list.

I know what you are saying but must add that garters can be much more labor/time intensive. They certainly poop more often and are always looking for interaction. It may not be on the scale of a BP but keeping them clean can be a daily job.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Yes your right about a daily task (instead of chore because every day or every other day i still love doing it) btw welcome to your thamily say goodbye to your family lol j/k...but not really

Hi, I'm New Here!

So you're saying it's a female? How can you tell from this blurry picture? Ball Pythons can only be sexed by either probing or popping. As a general rule, the males tail is longer & thinner than a females, which is shorter & thicker. Looks like only one piture uploaded to this forum. Let me try & upload the other two now, for a clearer view.
    A.jpgC.jpg