outdoor enclosure ideas

Hey y'all. sorry I've been mia for a little while, I've been super busy with my animals and school.
    But, I'm considering having an outdoor enclosure for some of my easterns (native). I'd be bringing them in for winter, but I think it would be cool to give them more room and some natural sunlight during the warmer seasons. Any who, would that be possible and does any one have any ideas for how to do it? I'm considering maybe a large stock tank with lid or something, but idk.
    Mel
    Proud owner of 9 amazing garter snakes and many other reptiles

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Re: outdoor enclosure ideas

I wouldn't. There's no way to make a reliable temp gradient. Think about it; it can get REALLY hot outside, even in the shade. Normally the garters would have the option of digging under leaf litter or something, but not in a tank-- at least not deep enough to really make a temp difference.
    That and you also run the risk of them coming into contact with predators and pesticides (even if you don't use them, they could wash in or something). A determined raccoon could get into even a secured cage.
    IMO just not a good idea.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

You mite want ask SD reptiles here is his out door enclosureScreenshot_2015-04-02-09-16-17.jpg

I obviously wouldn't put them in tank with like wood shavings. I would do a deep layer (I'm thinking 18-24") of soil, leaf litter, and live plants (making it as close to there native habit). I'm also planning on adding a large water source. If necessary I would bring them in if temps get too low or too high. Also I may consider bringing them in at night if raccoons are a problem, but we have a very small raccoon population in my area.
    Mel

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

IMO that's just a lot of trouble for something that the garters won't really benefit from. I mean, they might get some small benefit from natural lighting or something, but it probably won't be worth all the trouble you'd have to put into making an outdoor enclosure safe and comfortable.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

i think its a great idea i also thought about this many times. i have a 10x15 ebt enclosure in my back yard but havent figured out a good way to keep garters from escaping an enclosure outside when i figure it out which im pretty sure i will ill post pics. although none of my high end stuff will go out there im too afraid to lose them lol

It certainly wouldn't be trouble. Something I actually enjoy doing haha. I think they would benefit from it, loads more room, natural lighting, more stimulation, etc. I'll of course put lots of thought into it before I further consider doing it.
    I'm also planning on making a food and water station for the wild garters in my yard.
    Mel

I have to say that is awesome that your doing that. If I lived in a house instead of an apartment I would totally build an out door enclosure. I'm already coming up with ideas for the enclosure and it's not even mine

Hi, I'm New Here!

If you try it let us know how it goes - I've always wanted to do something big, think it would be a fun little project