Hello! This place seems friendly and helpful.

My name is Vaughn and I live in Maryland. A few months ago I came home from school and saw a little Northern Brown/DeKay's Snake sitting curled up on my basement carpet, the next day my father found a second one. The day I found the first one me and my father went to a local pet store and picked up a 5 gallon tank and other materials for a basic setup. Shortly after introducing the second snake they mated, and now with a much larger tank I have 5 babies hiding around somewhere in the soil.

I wanted to see if anyone could provide some personal insight or pointers for caring for them. The two adults have been easy enough with catching worms and slugs for food, but the babies are so small (about 2 1/2 inches long) I'm not sure how I'm going to do this. I just set up in the original tank a terrarium for slugs and I'm hoping they will breed and become a reliable food source, especially for the winter.

It seems like my only real option is just to look hard for tiny worms for the time being. Of course I've done some research on the snakes but I was hoping some of you could provide some helpful tips, if not on feeding just in general around them so I can provide the best possible care.
    Thanks!

Re: Hello! This place seems friendly and helpful.

Welcome. tiny babies for sure. Slugs and tiny earth worms are on the menu for the neonates. You'll find slugs in leaf litter and under most larger debris. You can put out boards to attract slugs and worms.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thank you. I have a few places where I look for food around my house, but living in the small suburban area of Baltimore Highlands just south of the city, I have rather small yards and thus limited space to work with. My biggest concerns however are finding an efficient way to obtain food small enough for the neonates, and obtaining food at all during winter. I hope the slug farm works but I can't depend on it.
    Screenshot_20170814-215415.jpg Snapchat-1195884627.jpg Snapchat-292651390.jpg

As a side note that I thought might be useful to you, this has been my first time keeping snakes or any reptiles.

Old and wise snake

When i have kept baby brown snakes in the past I fed them night crawler pieces I cut very small with scissors. I left the cut pieces in a pile on a small paper plate and fed them in groups. Always worked well for me

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticGamma View Post
    Thank you. I have a few places where I look for food around my house, but living in the small suburban area of Baltimore Highlands just south of the city, I have rather small yards and thus limited space to work with. My biggest concerns, however, are finding an efficient way to obtain food small enough for the neonates and obtaining food at all during winter. I hope the slug farm works but I can't depend on it.
    Screenshot_20170814-215415.jpg Snapchat-1195884627.jpg Snapchat-292651390.jpg

As a side note that I thought might be useful to you, this has been my first time keeping snakes or any reptiles.
    Substrate

Substrate appears very wet. Keep in mind small pieces of night crawlers are fine. Cut small pieces into a yogurt lid, place it in for the over-night. Most of the time it will all be gone in the morning and the baies will ahveround little bellies.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I will use what you have provided. About the substrate, this was my fault for not doing enough research first, I assumed that the snakes would like moist soil for it but after reading the care section on this site and what you mentioned it appears I was very wrong.

"Fourth shed In Progress" slipknot711's Avatar

How are the babies doing?
    Ashley: instagram-> @ashes1187

Quote Originally Posted by slipknot711 View Post
    How are the babies doing?
    Well, two or three got eaten by one or two crickets that I put in the tank as sort of secondary pets, not thinking about the fact they eat EVERYTHING... but the other at least two seem to be doing well.

In case you're wondering I did remove the crickets as soon as I realized what happened.