Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Never shed

hello, new to owning snakes

Hi, like the title says i am new to snakes and have only owned the standard fish, bird, hamsters, rat, dog, and cats. Recently i had taken in a foot or so long garter snake, after research it i think it matched with the Northwestern Garter. i released it back where i found it and now i want to get a captive breed as a permanent addition to the household. i do have questions though and would love for you guys to help me out since I'm going in with no experience. also so far this site is amazing, i got redirected here multiple times while i was researching garter snakes.

Re: hello, new to owning snakes

Welcome aboard.

Adult snake

Welcome aboard!

Banned

Welcome!

Northwestern garter snake range is strictly west of the Cascades from extreme NW California to Coastal B.C. Canada, at low elevations. Just so you know. not sure where you are. they are extremely variable in color and pattern and so could be mistaken for other species that share their range.

I live in SW WA and it is by far the most commonly encountered reptile here. they can also thrive in urban or marginal habitats and subsist on just slugs and worms.

here's one I found in a small patch of landscaping in Downtown Vancouver, WA , an urban setting. This one happens to like fish as well as worms and slugs. Just the other day I saw one at the same spot only it was black with a yellow stripe.

I have also found stripeless, completely red, and solid black ones. Have any pics?

That's what I like about them. Variety!

Never shed

thank you for the welcome stefan-A, indigoman, and concinnusman. i live west of the cascades in Washington state and not to high in elevation. found the guy on the side of the house while a weed whacker was in use, glad he didn't get his head chopped off. quick question while im typing this, found a website that sells northwestern garters and they seem alright, backwaterreptiles dot com, anyone know if their good and if its legal to buy one off them for my state?

edit: i didnt take a picture but a video. our scotish fold thought it was incredibly interesting to watch from my bed. the quality isnt great after rewatching it you cant tell any of the detail other than off black/grey. i can say though it had the same stripping and coloring of your first posted picture. the red was only in very small spots though.
    Last edited by sketh; 09-17-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: last post wasnt fully load and a question was asked after i had finished this post

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sketh View Post
    found a website that sells northwestern garters and they seem alright, backwaterreptiles dot com, anyone know if their good and if its legal to buy one off them for my state?
    Not legal for them to ship natives to WA. It's also not legal to collect or keep natives in WA. However, when it comes to garters, enforcement doesn't exist. They don't really care.

I'm headed up to Lewis and Thurston counties next week. if the weather cooperates I'll be herping around Nisqually/Dupont area. Whereabouts are you? if you don't mind me asking.

Never shed

i live around the Everett area. im not surprised by the no enforcement, never been told it was illegal, i found out about it yesterday. any recommendations on a species that's a good starter garter and a place to get one?

Banned

it falls under an umbrella law protecting all native wildlife from collection and keeping as a pet. Selective enforcement though. They only go after pet stores doing it, when it comes to common non mammals/non game animals.

Northwesterns make very good starter snakes provided you get one that settles in and eats OK. Please read the care sheet and follow it. Northwesterns like it a bit cooler and not so dry but always keep the substrate dry except for perhaps underneath one hide or corner. They do well with a gradient of 70-84 F and some damp hides, deep substrate, moss, etc. and humidity 50-70%.

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet

Nice to have you with us. T. ordinoides - Northwestern garter snake is my second favorite Thamnophis species. Here's a link to the care sheet Richard talked about.
    Feel free to ask all the questions you want.

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

thank you concinnusman. here is the setup i got for the snake i had found. 10 gallon 20.25x12x10 glass tank. Aspen Shavings for substrate. one of those half logs as one hide and another large multi tiered log, has 2 logs, one on top of the other with holes between and around them all in one piece. a water dish, some kind of grey material kinda like the plastic park benches. also a heating lamp, small 60 watt, and temp/hum gauge.the tank its self is secured with 2 claps. i put about 1 and a half inch of substrate in then put the half log off to the cool side of the tank and put the 2 tiered on the other under the heating lamp. the water dish was set in between them. when i get my permanent addition, im thinking of getting rid of the 2 piece log for a few cardboard hides and a fake plant or 2. for food, i stupidly thought "it eats crickets right?", glad i researched. i planned on giving it some night crawlers. gathering from your information, concinnusman, unless i find a specie i want that's not native I'll have to wait tell i get lucky again and find another northwestern.

edit: thank you for the welcome guidofatherof5
    Last edited by sketh; 09-17-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: poster join the thread and said hi, didnt want to double post.