"Preparing For First shed" Tora's Avatar

Starting to grow my own moss for the viv!

Well, I just picked up a nice 20-25 gallon tank from the local thrift shop about a week ago! And in celebration of that, I decided I was going to make a nice living viv! So, in order get started on putting it together before August, I decided to start growing my own pillow moss. Next will be some sphagnum moss, but I want to try growing the pillow moss first. I've set aside a 10 gallon tank and the moss has already spread 2 inches from when I started it about a week ago! I'm going to post pictures in a little bit, after I find my camera, of my design ideas. They'll be hand drawn until I can start getting it set up!

~^-^~

"Fourth shed In Progress" slipknot711's Avatar

Re: Starting to grow my own moss for the viv!

i would love to learn how to do that! sounds like a good time.
    Ashley: instagram-> @ashes1187

would love to see some pics! any tips? Ive tried multiple times for my red eyed tree frog viv, but with little success

Subadult snake

The key to most mosses is access to water and moisture for they dry very easily. For instance, sphagnum moss is essentially a wetland sponge. So long as it remains wet from the nearby water table, it grows; most species I am familiar with change from red to green and back with different moisture contents and as a normal seasonal cycle. However if it dries out, turns brown, which is very common especially in enclosures with heating elements, they've died.
    Easiest set up I've had growing moss is a closed rubbermaid on a sunny window ledge.

"Preparing For First shed" Tora's Avatar

I will post pictures of the moss growth after I get home later.

I found that this site has some nice ideas, How To Grow Moss Indoors

it's where I got my idea for growing my own moss and saving a little bit when it comes to setting up my enclosure.