Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Tom's Snake Enclosure

Here is a pic of the enclosure I made for my recently captured snake.

The substrate (which probably isn't as thick as it ought to be - I'll work on that) is mostly crushed dried leaves.

That thing in the middle is a cheap piece of hanging flower basket I picked up at a dollar store (I'd prefer something smaller and more natural looking).

This enclosure is currently in an unused side room. I just took temp readings, and it's 87F in there right now. That's only slightly cooler than outside shade temps (91F). That room will get down to 80F at night, but not much cooler than that.

Some of the lessons I've learned so far: if you need to move the enclosure, remove the water dish first. Do not leave the enclosure outside in the sun for any longer than about two or three minutes.

Re: Tom's Snake Enclosure

Okay, I got a new hide for him. I took a clay flower pot and broke a hole in the side for him to slither through. Unfortunately, the flower pot broke in the process, and I had to glue most of it back together. I also used a good portion of the old hide to make a cover for it. so it looks like a little grass hut. As soon as the glue dries, and it's safe to put into the enclosure, I'll pic it. (Yes, "pic" is now a verb).

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

What a pretty green! Nice job on his/her enclosure as well. I like the mossy/grass hanging planter. It would work well for my two adults. Nice idea.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Thanks.

I wanted something a little smaller, more cozy. This is what I came up with:

It looks a bit like a thatch-roof cottage. Let's just hope Trogdor doesn't come along and burninate it.

A couple of my friends have lauded me for the cuteness of the Thatch-Roof Cottage. Many have likewise expressed the hope that Trogdor doesn't come along and burninate it.

But I am growing concerned for my little critter. He rarely if ever comes out of the hide now. Today, the only time he came out of it was when I removed it. I'm beginning to become concerned.

The internal temperature of the enclosure ranges from 78F at night to about 89F during the day. Considering this is a Mississippi Delta snake, do you think he might want it warmer?

So far, he hasn't eaten any of the minnows or nightcrawlers I've put in there. Hasn't even shown an interest. And I'm pretty sure he was hungry when I caught him, since he was poking around the bucket of nightcrawlers I had put out.

I've seen this before: a new snake owner worrying overmuch about their new companion, and I'm sure I'm falling into the same routine myself. But now I can see just how worried a new owner can be.

Anyway: Always in the hide. Rarely if ever comes out. He no longer shows the same energy he did when I first caught him (seems almost lethargic - although he avoids me, he doesn't struggle or bit at me when I pick him up). Is this within the parameters of a normal first week of captivity?

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

I wouldnt be concerned about the hiding. Maybe if you feel that he is overly lethargic i'd check into it.
    ~Christa

I would consider a different substrate. You don't know what beasties and possible mould problems these leaves could contain.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

I definitely don't think you need to worry about her needing it warmer
    in the wild she probably spends the hot part of the day in some shady cool damp spot
    for all you know she comes out more when it's a bit cooler
    is her enclosure sufficiently well ventilated?
    she's a beauty btw
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gregmonsta View Post
    I would consider a different substrate. You don't know what beasties and possible mould problems these leaves could contain.
    Those leaves were dehydrated in a 220F oven. I'm fairly sure it kills most anything living in them. (made a huge mess in my kitchen, I'll say).

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    is her enclosure sufficiently well ventilated?
    I have been concerned about that. Her enclosure's lid has like a bajillion holes drilled in it, but I'm not sure how much air that actually allows through. I've been considering replacing it with a screen, to see if that helps. I just need to find the right materials to make that happen, and they're kind of hard to find here. I'll come up with something, though.

But what you said about her probably liking it cooler: I did notice just now that she was out exploring her enclosure this morning. But when she spotted me, she headed straight for the hide. It is very possible that she does like it cooler, and that by keeping the enclosure warm, I'm making her think it's too hot to come out. I'll try keeping it in a cooler part of the house, to see if that will help.