Never shed

Caresheets:Community Portal

Discussion thread for Caresheets:Community Portal. If you would like to add a comment, click the New Reply button

Never shed

Red face possession limits of snakes in Wisconsin

To whom it may concern,Persons may collect or possess up to 5 individuals of each native snake species that is not protected, with the following exceptions: The possession limit is 2 for the following native species:
    Western Fox Snake, Eastern Milk Snake. There are no possession limits for native snakes that are atypically colored or atypically patterned {e.g. albinos, striped snakes that are typically blotched or vice versa.} There is a possession limit of 2 Black Rat snakes, 2 Bullsnakes and 2 Yellow-bellied or Blue Racers if they are legally acquired from out-of-state. SALE RESTRICTIONS Snakes collected from within the borders of the state may not be sold, bartered or traded for any reason. Sales of native snakes collected or purchased from out of state are restricted to unprotected species and may only be sold in Wisconsin to education or research institutions for education or research. There is no allowance for sale as pets with the following exception: Any native snake not listed as endangered or threatened may be sold, without a permit, if it has atypical pattern{e.g. captive bred, genetically manipulated specimens that exhibit aberrant colors or patterns, like albinos}. Native unprotected snakes legally imported from out of state may be sold out of state under federal interstate commerce regulations. All residents who harvest, attempt to harvest and possess native snakes collected in Wisconsin must possess a valid fishing, small game, sports or conservation patron license. Commercial Herptile Permits are required for persons collecting or purchasing unprotected native snakes from out of state for the purpose of selling them. Permits are issued free of charge. Submit a letter to:
    Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources
    Bureau of Endangered Resources
    P.O. Box 7921
    Madison, WI. 53707

I know all this because I am doing field studies for them on Butleri.
    Sincerely David

Re: Caresheets:Community Portal

i caught a butlers once she was a fiesty little bugger, took some pics of her with my ghetto poloroid then set her free.

SALE RESTRICTIONS Snakes collected from within the borders of the state may not be sold, bartered or traded for any reason. Sales of native snakes collected or purchased from out of state are restricted to unprotected species and may only be sold in Wisconsin to education or research institutions for education or research. There is no allowance for sale as pets with the following exception: Any native snake not listed as endangered or threatened may be sold, without a permit, if it has atypical pattern{e.g. captive bred, genetically manipulated specimens that exhibit aberrant colors or patterns, like albinos}. Native unprotected snakes legally imported from out of state may be sold out of state under federal interstate commerce regulations. All residents who harvest, attempt to harvest and possess native snakes collected in Wisconsin must possess a valid fishing, small game, sports or conservation patron license.

so is that saying i can own a snake as a pet but i need to own one those listed permits, i personally feel those laws for tradeing need to be revoked. wisconsin has a very high herp count. just yesterday i found a large gravid tss in my friend neighbor hood, and as i went to let that go i saw another smaller male. is there any way at all a person could have that changed?

Never shed

Well I used to feel the same way you did. Some herps are in real trouble, Believe it or not Bullsnakes are not doing well. One of the researchers I'm working with did 4 years of telemetry work, seventy percent of the years snakes don't make it......every year. That's from many natural causes, some known some not. Some of the areas were private and some were public. I quit are local Herp society because strangers would find out about our field trips and raped some of these areas, some conservation areas and preserves. They eventually were busted out because we marked the snakes, because we had a hunch, actually more than a hunch, and went to a local swap meet and the look on their face....I can still see it. You want new genetic material for a captive husbandry project? Do what I do. Find a gravid female or stud male of the snakes you have, as long as it is not protected in some way. Hatch the eggs or sort thru the live births keep a couple. When your done let them go where you found them. After all the captive breeding I did I am more satisfied field herping{catch and release} than keeping hundreds, that's just me.....not that I won't keep 20 or 30 but I love observing them in the wild, particularly Horridus. David

"Preparing For Second shed"

I agree, I really like bullsnakes and wish this wasn't the case and I hate people who over collect, a few snakes now and again never is a problem, but some of these people collect every snake they find.. I hate it.