Hi, I'm New Here!

New here, just some questions!

Hi everyone! I just got my first cb garter on Tuesday! That said, I have tons of questions as a result of my pet owning paranoia.
    From what I've read, this is all normal and fine, but it's been years since I've had my own pet, so the paranoia is hitting hard
    1. He's new and I know he isn't used to me yet, but he seems to be becoming increasingly frightened of my presence. I'm sure this will go away, but any tips on how to get him used to me? We share a room, so I don't want to scare him every time I'm in there

2. The past two days, he's hid on the warm side all day. I also fed im before this happened, I hear it's normal. But doesn't he need to cool down?

3. He seems to be most active at night, exploring and climbing and flicking his tongue. Aren't garters diurnal?

4. I fed him worms on a paper towel, but he dragged it off and got some aspen in his mouth. He seemed to gather it all around the corners of his mouth and spit it out, but if he got a small piece, does that guarantee impactation? If so, how can I help? (feeding him in a separate tank next time, not worth the risk)

5.Last night i noticed he was rubbing his head on the ground/his log/leaves. He doesn't seems to be shedding yet, but he dunked his head in water prior to this. Is he just trying to dry himself?

Sorry for such a long list, but any help at all is appreciated. Thank you so much in advance!
    Also, here are some pics of my new guy and his tank! He still needs a name so if you have any ideas, please share em!!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: New here, just some questions!

Welcome to the forum CC! Mostly what you have described sounds like typical garter snake actions and behavior. What is the average ambient temp and warm and cool side temps? What is the basking spot temp also? Most snakes will swallow small amounts of substrate occasionally this really won't cause a impaction. To remedy that risk you can always place his food on a lid or in a bowl. Sometimes garters will forage and burrow into the substrate as well. Dunking his head into the water is also a form of foraging. Garters hunt in waters. Great looking enclosure you have there as well as a great garter snake species. Welcome once again.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks Albert!
    The Temperatures (according to a cheap infrared gun) are mid-high 80s (86 avg?) on the warm side. I've measured the surface of his warm hide at 92, and the surface of his basking stone is roughly 90. The cool side is 74 at the coolest, some surfaces read early 80s later in the day. Right now he's hiding under the log where the temp is about 78. Of course these are all surface temperatures, I'd assume the air temp is lower by 2-6 degrees, based on differences in wall temperature and floor temperature. I tried feeding him in his bowl but the little guy took the nightcrawler and thrashed it around in the aspen Thanks so much for the input, I hope I've given you enough information!

Sounds fairly normal. I'd caution feeding in the enclosure. Your bedding could be swallowed causing a perforated intestine/infection/blockage.
    Be sure to introduce yourself in the welcome lounge.
    Welcome Lounge
    Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

The basking temperature at 92f is a tad high. The basking stone level I would bring down to 86f or 88f. How are you heating the enclosure? And how do you regulate the heat? 88f is a great basking temp that is within the potz ( preferred optimal temperature zone) for basking behavior. Try cutting the nightcrawler into quarters for ease of swallowing in the future. That is really a nice looking enclosure. If you monitor the feeding with a pair of tweezers or tongs you can usually assist by removing the extra debris that gets stuck on the prey items.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 05-16-2016 at 05:59 AM.

Hi, I'm New Here!

For my heat, I'm using a 25 watt halogen bulb. I just removed the uv light because I heard albinos can be sensitive to bright lights, maybe that's why he's hiding all day? As for regulation, the tank keeps itself at a pretty stable temperature throughout the day. Is there a recommended product for heat reg? I'm feeding him baby night crawlers which he's been eating effortlessly so I doubt cutting them would do much good. Maybe I'm wrong? I will definitely try using tongs more often, though my plan was to feed him in a seprate tank. Is this recommended?

That's fine, i was thinking the 92f basking should drop to 88f. 82f to 84f as the warm side is good as well. The cool side is great. IDK about the light sensitivity phenomena in albino checkereds. They certainly are diurnal. But will roam in the evening based on mainly daytime temperatures, hunger and seeking safe zones. Snakes have been swallowing debris along with their meals for years with no ill effects. If it becomes excessive it can be problematic. You do want to remove any excess debris (substrate) when you can. Just get a bigger plate for your feeding plate. No need to feed in a separate tub or tank. This only adds to the stress in the animal. He needs to become established in his enclosure. Differences of opinion on this topic abounds. Consider purchasing a thermostat to control the basking spot temps.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Nice looking setup you have for him/her? Sounds like all is well and you just need to relax and enjoy.

CC, consider placing rodents into his diet also if you haven't already. The hairless version is the best way to go. He look like he can handle rat pinks. Starting with mice pinks is ok too. Rodent in the diet is considered complete nutrition but garters do well on a varied diet.