Banned

How to get night crawlers the easy way

Hey guys, I just tried something that worked like a charm and though I would share.

You know sometimes even though you know there are plenty of night crawlers in a specific area, the weather just won't allow you to find any, even at night and you sure as heck don't want to go digging around.

Try this, it works!

Take a fully charged car, motorcycle or moped battery and hook up jumper cables to it (be careful!)

Clip the other ends onto metal tent spikes or similar objects that you have driven into the moist or wet ground no more than 12 inches apart. Copper spikes would be ideal.

Then, wait and watch. You can imagine what happens next.

It works!

Just watch where you are standing and don't get shocked. Also keep in mind that this is bad for the battery so don't use one that you can't afford to part with.

Re: How to get night crawlers the easy way

Here's a safer way:
    A unique behavior has been recorded for wood turtles. They will rock back and forth from side to side.
    The vibrations from their front feet against the ground cause earthworms to surface. As they do so, they are eaten by the turtles (Kaufmann, 1989).
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

Hmmmm... Don't think I have any wood turtles handy in the garage or shed

That's bull pucky anyway. The worms were already surfacing. The rocking was to get depth perception so they know where to strike. At least that's my opinion. No data to back it up.

I could literally take a jackhammer to the ground and the vibrations wouldn't bring nearly as many worms as the battery trick.

we call them "prods" but they were attached to the end of an extension cord. plug it in, jam the prods in the ground and up come the worms! I used to do it years ago as a little kid....sold worms to fisherman...had a very fertile yard, tons of big nightcrawlers!!

Banned

Yup. it works. Here's a weird thing I discovered a few years ago. In the middle of Vancouver, WA, the 3rd largest city in the state (by population) on the busiest BLVD in the median, there's some hedges. They drop leaves and produce some super rich soil with the help of GIGANTISAURUS night crawlers.

I mean, this median oozes worm ship. it spills out into the street. I was astounded. It's the blackest, richest dirt you can find. I mean it's valuable.

It probably won't happen until our very wet weather begins in the fall of 2010 but I'm going out on that median with my car battery. What's the worst that could happen? I always have a snappy, logical explanation for the police. I hate to admit it, but I don't like them one bit and it's only because I know the game they play. I know how to play too and I'm very good with the dialogue. I make them think I'm clueless while giving them the answers that work to my advantage.

Anyway, I just want some worms officer!

You got the idea Don, that's what I did, I heard it from my 66 year old father. He did that when he was a kid. I tried it today in an area in my yard full of decomposing leaves over several years and WOW! ginormous night crawlers came out, ready to be plucked from the surface.

I've got a 20 cubic foot compost pile, partially shaded
    if they're gettable at all, sticking a shovel in that pile will usually yield me a bunch
    too bad I don't have that many garters that actually like them
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

This is a trick that Matthew Broderick used in "Godzilla"! LOL Well, the equipment is different, but the result's the same. I knew I should've kept that old car battery and charger!
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."

Banned

WC concinnus and ordinoides love night crawlers so the worms may come in handy for you soon. I can't get ordinoides to eat much else.

Quote Originally Posted by drache View Post
    I've got a 20 cubic foot compost pile, partially shaded
    if they're gettable at all, sticking a shovel in that pile will usually yield me a bunch
    too bad I don't have that many garters that actually like them
    I hear you Rhea, nearly all of mine are 100% rodent eaters now.

The few stubborn cases hardly warrant gathering too many, and with Limon gone even more so.
    (He ate well over a dozen a week)