"First shed, A Success"

Hello, and thoughts on species

Hi All,

I'm new here and new to snakes. I've never kept a snake but have always found them fascinating. I'm here to read and learn, and decide if owning a snake is in the cards for me sometime down the road.

If I ever got one, I'd be interested in a species that is out and active in a naturalistic enclosure and is docile and handleable. What are your thoughts on my top choices:

-T. Infernalis
    -T. Concinnus
    -T. Radix
    -T. Marcianus

It's unlikely that I'd have more than one snake, so it's a serious decision.

Thanks!

Re: Hello, and thoughts on species

I'd suggest T. radix in the female model. Sweet and easily worked with. I may be a bit bias when it comes to T. radix though.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

For a first time snake for you id go with marcianus, they are a hardy species thats readily available and affordable

You're going to get a lot of radix recommendations and I agree. As a general rule most garter snakes are docile, handleable, and active. A lot of people will tell you females are more docile than males and my experience is the same. Maybe not as colorful as other species and subspecies but they certainly make up for it with personality.

I've only had marcianus and radix so I can't say anything about the other two so maybe others who are more experienced than I will chime in
    Last edited by Qwerty3159; 01-04-2018 at 10:26 AM.

"First shed, A Success"

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome and great advice so far. I love the colors of the west coast garters, but T. Radix is a strong front runner. I tend to favor the study and appreciation of plants and animals native to my region (Minnesota).

I have entertained possibly keeping one of each in the same enclosure, which I've read a lot about in these forums. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

"First shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty3159 View Post
    You're going to get a lot of radix recommendations and I agree. As a general rule most garter snakes are docile, handleable, and active. A lot of people will tell you females are more docile than males and my experience is the same. Maybe not as colorful as other species and subspecies but they certainly make up for it with personality.

I've only had marcianus and radix so I can't say anything about the other two so maybe others who are more experienced than I will chime in

Beautiful snake! Thanks for sharing.

"First shed, A Success"

After reading many, many threads in 90+ pages of this forum, I’m leaning toward a female radix and a female concinnus in one big vivarium.

Quote Originally Posted by MNGuy View Post
    After reading many, many threads in 90+ pages of this forum, I’m leaning toward a female radix and a female concinnus in one big vivarium.
    Good choices. T. radix will probably be much easier and cheaper to get.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee