Tough Time with Eating

So i have had this wild caught eastern garter for almost 2 weeks now. The only thing he has eaten was a little piece of an earthworm, after that he stopped. His eyes were very blue when he ate this though. I was just wondering how much longer i should wait before just letting him go, and I am going to go to petsmart to pick up some worms, any special kind that garters like? Thank you!

-Blake

Bonniedale Farm Rescue snakehill's Avatar

Re: Tough Time with Eating

You need nightcrawlers. Petsmarts around here don't sell them though not sure about where you live. You can get them at bait shops. I get mine at the feed store. Ps GREAT NAME!
    Joanne 0.1 T.radix Jade / 0.1 T.s.sirtalis Jett

The care sheet addresses the type of worms to feed.
    Some snakes stop eating as they go into blue phase (shedding).
    A couple weeks off food usually isn't anything to worry about. Much depends on the snakes weight and overall appearance.
    Any chance you can post a couple photos ?

Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi...I am very close to you in Newark, DE. Petsmarts around here do not sell nightcrawlers either. I get mine at a marine (bait) store. Just make sure they are nightcrawlers. If the snake's eyes were blue...like Steve said, he is probably getting ready to shed and may not want to eat until after he sheds. With the temps around here lately, I wouldn't suggest letting the snake go anytime soon...it's been too cold outside. He will probably eat after he sheds. Look at the caresheet...if you can't find worms, you can always try fish fillet or pinkies. Like I said, I am very close to you...PM me if you need any advice...I would be glad to help!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Yea i figured he would not want to eat during shedding. and here's some pics:
    garter1.jpggarter2.jpggarter3.jpggarter4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    Hi...I am very close to you in Newark, DE. Petsmarts around here do not sell nightcrawlers either. I get mine at a marine (bait) store. Just make sure they are nightcrawlers. If the snake's eyes were blue...like Steve said, he is probably getting ready to shed and may not want to eat until after he sheds. With the temps around here lately, I wouldn't suggest letting the snake go anytime soon...it's been too cold outside. He will probably eat after he sheds. Look at the caresheet...if you can't find worms, you can always try fish fillet or pinkies. Like I said, I am very close to you...PM me if you need any advice...I would be glad to help!
    Ok thank you!! and yes Newark is very close. Small world haha

Keep handling to a minimum, it could be that, aside from shedding, he's a little stressed out from the handling and wont eat because of that.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Looks a healthy sort of size, so a couple of weeks off food (especially around a shed) shouldn't be a worry. How long ago were his eyes blue? If it was more than about 3 or 4 days since the eyes cleared then my concerns would be that there's possibly a retained shed.

I don't know about the weather in your part of the world, but if Marnie is nearby and says it's not warm enough to release release I'd just echo that advice. I'm sure though that you will get the little guy eating, so release will hopefully be a moot point.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Lovely eastern you have there. Yes, it's been rather chilly around here lately. We have had some warm days...but it has been mostly cold and the lows have gotten very low. I haven't even seen any snakes around here yet. It's a good thing you took that fellow in...he may have come out of brumation during the warm spell we had only to get a surprise when the weather went suddenly quite cold again. Chantel is right...didn't even think about that...you've only had him/her a couple of weeks....he needs time to adjust...many wild caught snakes will not eat right away. I have two wild caught easterns...it took me quite a while to get the male to eat when I first found him. Garters can go quite a while without food...he should be okay for a little while yet. Take a look at the caresheet and let us know if you have any questions about his enclosure, feeding, or what to expect during the shed.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Ok thanks everyone. I feel better knowing that he can go a little while without food. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes!