Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    "First shed In Progress" Sherrie's Avatar

Help with Sexing?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but have been lurking for awhile. My son got an albino checkered a few months ago and we requested a male, but not sure that's what we got. Was hoping y'all could take a look. Also he was supposedly 3 months when we got him and was about 9 inches, that would make him about 7 months now and he's about 12 - 13 inches. Does that sound about right for size/age? Here are the pics. The first one was taken right after we got him. The 2nd two were taken today.

Thanks!
    Sherrie

IMG_1288.jpgm2.jpgM.jpg

Re: Help with Sexing?

I would probably think male, but I'd like to see other members answers. In the first picture is there something over his eye or is that just a flash from the camera?
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Thanks. Yes that spot in the first pic is just the flash from the camera. I've looked at the pics in the sexing thread and I'm just not sure. I'm kind of thinking male too, but wasn't sure. After I initially looked at the pics in the sexing thread then looked at my snake (Morpheus), I was thinking female, but after I took the pics I'm thinking maybe male. I just don't know.

I will say Male but have my suspicions. Might be easier to tell as the snake matures.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Here's a couple more pics. I just took these.
    m3.jpgm4.jpg

Great looking little scrub. Looks like it had a retained tail tip shed at some point. If I'm seeing that correctly he'll lose that dried twig looking tip.
    Not a major issue but you must make sure sheds are complete(account for both eye caps and a complete tail shed) Albinos are the worst for seeing the opaque(shedding) phase the snakes go in. Make with you keep the humidity around 50-60% and have a large water dish in for pre-soaking before shed.
    The tail tip will fall off on its own or you could remove it with a pair of toenail clippers(properly sterilized). There could be a very small amount of blood but applying pressure to the area with a piece of toilet paper will stop the bleeding.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

I'll disagree with the others and say female. This little one is very iffy looking to my eye. Time will certainly tell!

As for the tail, Steve nailed it. It should also fall off on it's own if left alone. Looks pretty dried up to me. Nice looking snakeling!
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

Uh oh. I don't know. His tail tip is brown. I don't see any skin on it now. He did just shed today. I'll make sure I watch that closer in the future.

If it's brown and shriveled looking it is dead. The retained shed cuts off the blood flow and that section of tail and it dies. It takes much longer then a few days or even weeks for this to occur. The snake probably came to you with this problem.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

I have a male checkered who lost his tail tip. The end became very shrivelled and when I tried to remove a bit of attached shed, the tip popped right off with it! A few drops of blood later and everything was back to normal.

Personally, I would just leave the tip to fall off naturally. I would be more worried about cutting it at the wrong point. Too far in and you will cut live tissue. Too far out, and you will leave dead tissue that will be harder to detach on it's own. Easiest thing to do is observe and let it do it's thing.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado