Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where to get worms for food?

Hey, I'm new to garter snakes, never owned one before so I'm just reading up on care. I read that they can eat earthworms, somefish, and mice. but what I would like to know is where to get the earthworms. do I just find some from my yard or do I have to buy some somewhere?? can they carry parasites?? thanks to anyone who can help me out

Juvenile snake

Re: Where to get worms for food?

You can get them at Wal-mart. If you do make sure to get nightcrawlers (or baby nightcrawlers). You can get them from your yard as well, provided you don't use pesticides or other chemicals. Worms don't tend to carry parasites that do damage to garters to the same extent that other food sources do.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

You don't say where you are from, so if you are in the UK you won't find worms in supermarkets. Best bet in the UK are fishing shops, or mail order - worms direct is one mail order company.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

An area where you're sure chemicals haven't been used
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    You don't say where you are from, so if you are in the UK you won't find worms in supermarkets. Best bet in the UK are fishing shops, or mail order - worms direct is one mail order company.
    How do you store the worms if you order from a mail order company? Thanks Chris

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I get them from a local fishing shop as their prices are about the same as mail order, but I don't think it matters where they come from you just need to store them in a cool dark place.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Refrigerator...they will live forever in there.... You can take them out and let them sit at room temp every once in a while for a few hours to let them get active and eat and move around to grow... or keep them dormant in the fridge until feeding time...
    Jonathan
    0.1 Parietalis - Suzi
    0.1 T.Radix - Xena
    My Public Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    I get them from a local fishing shop as their prices are about the same as mail order, but I don't think it matters where they come from you just need to store them in a cool dark place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxrun402 View Post
    Refrigerator...they will live forever in there.... You can take them out and let them sit at room temp every once in a while for a few hours to let them get active and eat and move around to grow... or keep them dormant in the fridge until feeding time...
    I'm thinking I could shove them in the garage. I meant how big a container do they require, does it have to be very deep? Do you have to add water at all? What kind of substrate mix does it have to be, can it be normal compost or is that too pure. Thanks.

No don't use compost as earthworms feed on matter that has all ready rotted. Best thing to use would be soil from the ground
    Will

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Depend on the species.
    Night crawlers live deep, and need cold (refrigerator )I temperatures. They can remain dormant for weeks or months in peat or other suitable bedding. Night crawlers surface at night to feed on vegetable matter, and may bw gathered with a flashlight after a rain or by 'fiddling'.

Red worms also known as leaf worms or compost worms live at room temperatures, but produce toxins that may cause seizures and kill snakes. Avoid them.

African night crawlers prefer warm temperatures. 70 degrees ir slightly warmer, a.d do well in a well in a worm bin filled w shredded newspaper and fed finely chopped vegetable scraps. They must be kept warm- they die if they get too cold (pre air conditioning and winter temp drops can be fatal from what I've read.

Research what is available, and what lives in your yard. Most deep living species need cool temperatures. Red worms have been widely spread by fishermen and gardeners- beware of anything red or red banded.