Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

College student looking to get a garter(need advice)

Hey guys, so I'm currently attending college/university in Massachussetts(I live in California) and I'm toying with the idea of getting a garter snake for my dorm(which allows small-non-furry pets that can live in a tank). I have almost everything mapped out in my head. However there's one thing I'm stuck on that I need to get straightened out before I do anything, and that is what to do during breaks...

We have 3 breaks: Winter(2 weeks) Spring(1 week) and Summer(3 months). As far as winter and spring go, how long would you personally feel safe leaving a garter alone? I doubt spring would be a problem, but 2 weeks(for winter) sounds a bit iffy to me.

And in terms of summer. I'm split on what to do here. I don't personally know anyone on the east coast who'd be willing to take care of a snake. Right now I'm thinking perhaps I could overnight ship him home when summer starts, and have him shipped back when fall semester begins. But would that be too much stress on the snake to ship it that often(twice a year?). If so, any ideas for places that might be willing to board snakes for a reasonable price?

(PS if you feel this just wouldn't work out, feel free to let me know that too, haha)

Thanks in advance

Jordan

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: College student looking to get a garter(need advice)

During the shorter breaks is there anyone that could change a water bowl (someone you'd trust to do it without forgetting and without leaving the lid loose)? A one week break you could get away with leaving for a week if the water bowl is big enough, two weeks is a stretch though as you wouldn't want to be leaving water standing for 14 days when the little bugger craps in the water the minute you close the door.
    Water is your issue.

Three months in the summer is llikely to be the killer. Shipping twice a year can't be a good thing. Is there anywhere locally that would take a snake as a lodger for the summer. Failing that you need to make some local friends.

If you don't have an option other than shipping at the start and end of summer vacation then I'd suggest you put the plan on ice for a year or two until you have someone you trust with your snake in the vacations.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

It doesn't really sound like a situation where you should get a snake... If you could drive it back and forth with you that'd be different, but shipping can be dangerous for reptiles. You probably wouldn't be able to ship him across country in a timely manner for such a short time period, since the temp has to be within an appropriate range at every point along the way.

Also, for an adult two weeks isn't too long to go without food, but it's not good to leave them that long without someone to check in. If they messed in or tipped the water dish two minutes after you left, you'd come back to a severely dehydrated and sick snake. Also, the heating devices you'd need to leave on wouldn't really be safe to leave on in a building where no one is going to be for weeks at a time (if it fails, the snake would not do well in Massachusetts winter temps, and if it overheats it could easily start a fire).
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Thanks for the feedback so far, now that I think about it, I definitely agree shipping that often would probably be impractical. I'm stressing myself out just thinking about it and I haven't even gotten the snake

I've been looking around on craigslist and I found a couple sitters in western mass who say they take reptiles, I'm going to shoot them both an email and see if either of them are willing to keep a snake for that period of time.

"Fourth shed In Progress" slipknot711's Avatar

im in rhode island if that helps
    Ashley: instagram-> @ashes1187

Quote Originally Posted by slipknot711 View Post
    im in rhode island if that helps
    Hmm, which part of rhode island? I'm in Amherst. I don't know the east coast that well yet so I'm not sure how close that would be

im just north of Providence. your like an hr and 45 min away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknot711 View Post
    im just north of Providence. your like an hr and 45 min away from me.
    Oh OK, I guess that's no worse than driving to Boston. Perhaps I could PM you and we could exchange emails for future reference

yeah thats fine with me

I'm in Connecticut, also if you need another "snake sitter". I am already snake sitting for someone and would be willing to help out as well. PM me also. Ashley may be closer to you though.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."