Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Is my garter pregnant?

This is Houdini! I caught Houdini in the wild a few weeks back and have been feeding him pinky mice every week (the pet store said it should be eating hoppers but Houdini won't eat anything with fur on it, so I've started doing 2 pinkies instead). Originally I assumed Houdini was a male, but it turns out it might be female and mating season season occurred before I caught the snake so it's entirely possible that I currently have a pregnant female. So here's 2 pictures of him/her, the tail was cut off after an injury in the wild, so if you need a picture with the old tail I have one. Can anyone guess if its male/female and if it's possibly pregnant? I heard that you should feed pregnant females more so I was just wondering if I should or not. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Is my garter pregnant?

I would say you have a gravid female there. Nice girth in the lower 2/3rds. Due probably anytime in the next 30 days?. Heck, she could drop them today but I think not. Looks like it could be a good size litter also.
    Is that stubby tail all healed up?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Concur. Female. Probably gravid - whilst an over fed pet may end up chubby I'm sure the only way a WC garter will get that shape is when she's laden with young.

Time to call her "her" and not "he". :-)
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I would say you have a gravid female there. Nice girth in the lower 2/3rds. Due probably anytime in the next 30 days?. Heck, she could drop them today but I think not. Looks like it could be a good size litter also.
    Is that stubby tail all healed up?
    Bluesirtalis

Talking Re: Is my garter pregnant?

Oh yeah. Either that or she needs to contact jenny snake. Thats what my wild one looked like and I found a neonate sticking its head out of a crack of my rock wall today:-)

Saji
    Legalize it!

That is definitely a very pretty girl snake you have there!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Hi, I'm New Here!

Houdini can still be a girl name at least haha. How many pinkies should I be feeding her, and how often? I want the babies to get enough nutrition after all. The tail looks good, it closed up at the end and there's no signs of infection, to me she even seems happier that it's gone: she hangs out in the open of the aquarium more often

Feed her what she wants. My gravid females were big piggies before they had their young. They could put down up to 10 pinkies each at a meal. That would be every 4-5 days or so. Sometimes less. Sometimes they wouldn't be interested at all. They will go back into a "food coma" when they are done. I always knew when Beauty was finished because she would go back into her rock cave. If either one stayed out near the food dish, I would put more in. Mostly because they didn't give their tank mates a chance to eat.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Hi, I'm New Here!

Update: this morning Houdini gave birth to 21 live babies!! So thank you everyone for helping me out with that =). However... I read online to feed the babies in individual containers so that they don't get aggressive, so I got a bunch from the dollar store, poked some holes in the tops, then added a couple pieces of tilapia fish to each. One baby ate immediately, but the other 20 did nothing... Some wrapped their bodies around the fish pieces but other then that, nothing. I tried warming up the pieces with a blow dryer like I do with Houdini's pinkies, tried wiggling them in front of their faces, leaving them alone for a couple hours... Nothing. Any advice?

Congrats. Some babies don't eat for days or sometimes weeks. I wouldn't get too stressed about it. Wait a few days then offer again.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee