Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Male keeps harassing and attempting to court other males

I have three all confirmed male garters in one aquarium. They also are small and slender like males tend to be and basically all full grown except a younger male one that only has a little more growing to go. They were confirmed to be male by the people I purchased them from.

I have had this issue on and off with one adult garter. From time to time, he just stops eating, and literally keeps trying to court the smallest male, and other times court the other equally sized male. I was concerned, and thought the smaller male may be a female(I know the other larger male is 100% male, he use to be a breeder before he was given to me). So..I instead placed the smaller male that the larger male keeps trying to court with a female younger than him yet she is still equal size as him. The smaller male then tried to court her! She was very stressed about it, tail wiggling and everything so I removed him from her enclosure.

So pretty much it's obvious that the smaller male HAS to be a male. I put him back in the main aquarium and gave the sex hungry male a time out for a day. He chilled out and was then willing to eat.

Any way, I digress. I know some times males emit pheromones when they emerge. Is this a case of this? He isn't always trying to mate, and the other males, despite his behavior, don't seem to care. They still want to eat, they still bask under the heat lamp, they kind of just lay there while he's going crazy courting them. Again, it's an on and off thing. Sometimes he wants to court them, for a few days, and then for several days to weeks he shows no interest. Should I be concerned? Should I put the sex hungry male in his own aquarium? Is it possible he is picking up from the pheromones from the female in the aquarium next to him?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: Male keeps harassing and attempting to court other males

Quote Originally Posted by Talon View Post
    I have three all confirmed male garters in one aquarium. They also are small and slender like males tend to be and basically all full grown except a younger male one that only has a little more growing to go. They were confirmed to be male by the people I purchased them from.

I have had this issue on and off with one adult garter. From time to time, he just stops eating, and literally keeps trying to court the smallest male, and other times court the other equally sized male. I was concerned, and thought the smaller male may be a female(I know the other larger male is 100% male, he use to be a breeder before he was given to me). So..I instead placed the smaller male that the larger male keeps trying to court with a female younger than him yet she is still equal size as him. The smaller male then tried to court her! She was very stressed about it, tail wiggling and everything so I removed him from her enclosure.

So pretty much it's obvious that the smaller male HAS to be a male. I put him back in the main aquarium and gave the sex hungry male a time out for a day. He chilled out and was then willing to eat.

Any way, I digress. I know some times males emit pheromones when they emerge. Is this a case of this? He isn't always trying to mate, and the other males, despite his behavior, don't seem to care. They still want to eat, they still bask under the heat lamp, they kind of just lay there while he's going crazy courting them. Again, it's an on and off thing. Sometimes he wants to court them, for a few days, and then for several days to weeks he shows no interest. Should I be concerned? Should I put the sex hungry male in his own aquarium? Is it possible he is picking up from the pheromones from the female in the aquarium next to him?
    Welcome to the club Talon its nice to have you here. What you are experiencing is the pheromonal signature being given off by your smaller male. It's a common occurrence when males and females emerge from hibernation and the frantic search of males to find females. There are some males who give off female pheromones to throw off rival males. So, this is all normal behavior and not a lot to worry about unless you want to give the courter a "time out". Also , if you think the smaller male may be getting overly stressed from it. I think its normal behavior and the smaller guy can handle it. It's known as the "she male " garter snake fakery. Haha.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"Preparing For Third shed" Rushthezeppelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Welcome to the club Talon its nice to have you here. What you are experiencing is the pheromonal signature being given off by your smaller male. It's a common occurrence when males and females emerge from hibernation and the frantic search of males to find females. There are some males who give off female pheromones to throw off rival males. So, this is all normal behavior and not a lot to worry about unless you want to give the courter a "time out". Also , if you think the smaller male may be getting overly stressed from it. I think its normal behavior and the smaller guy can handle it. It's known as the "she male " garter snake fakery. Haha.
    Lol my answer was he needs to go to Big Gay Al's Big Gay Animal Sanctuary (for any of yall that are South Park fans). Your's is much better though

Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Lol my answer was he needs to go to Big Gay Al's Big Gay Animal Sanctuary (for any of yall that are South Park fans). Your's is much better though
    Listen Rushthezeppelin, your comment about my sexual orientation is way off base and offensive! I SHOULD REPORT YOUR POST AND COMMENT BC IT'S VERY INAPPROPRIATE! You don't know me, and you should really have more respect for yourself and for others. What you said here about me is a criminal complaint. Please refrain from attacking personal genders that you are ignorant about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU WERE TRYING TO BE CUTE , YOUR NOT. If you were trying trying to insult me , you did!

I was talking about his snake and it was only in jest. Just a reference to a cartoon character, my apologies. If you would like I would be more than happy to delete the post, I understand this is supposed to be family friendly and perhaps my comment could be construed as borderline offensive to someone who doesn't know the reference. The comment was not meant to be snide or demeaning in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    And furthermore, I am not a South Park fan...! I don't know what you were trying to infer by the comment but you are way out in left field!! I have reported this to the Moderators. We will see where this has to go.

You certainly weren't referring to the snake bc the snakes' name is not ALBERT! You really need to check yourself and have respect for other people period.

What do you mean someone who doesn't know the difference!!!!!!! You used my name in a sexually explicit description. Who do you think you are Rushthezeppelin???????????

"Preparing For First shed"

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    You certainly weren't referring to the snake bc the snakes' name is not ALBERT! You really need to check yourself and have respect for other people period.
    I'm not going to take sides or anything if this becomes an argument, but he was referring to an old episode of Southpark that just so happened to have the name "Big Gay Al's Animal Sanctuary" in it. I'm sure he didn't intend it to be offensive towards you. he most likely wasn't even thinking of your name at the time.

The Al reference wasn't to anyone in here, not you or the snake. Big Gay Al the character in the show takes care of gay animals with intolerant owners, he is portrayed in a positive light. I should have realized someone who didn't get the reference would be totally confused and not posted that. Like I said I didn't even realize I was replying to you. For the record your response was great and mine was just some half immature joke that certainly did not help the thread at all.