Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed

Another Newcomer

Hello! New to the forum, and I guess I'm not allowed to post anywhere else yet, so here I go.

As a bit of background about me, I had a ribbon snake when I was a kid (going back to the 90s, here), and have also had a couple frogs and a turtle at various times. I also worked at PetCo for a stretch and worked with the snakes a lot; we had this big, gorgeous tangerine milk snake at the store who I was the only person it liked (he even bit our vet when we took him for a checkup after a week-long escape. But the guy was a jerk so all of us sided with the snake). The pythons and boas were cool, but I've always liked the look of garters with their bold colors, big eyes, and the way they look like they're always smiling. And, well, we had a couple that lived under our shed/woodpile at the house where I grew up, (and musked it up every time someone went inside) and I had a mark on my hand for YEARS after the big one (had to be 4ft long, she was a HUGE) got hold of me in a capture attempt (funny story: my grandmother had a fit over that, telling me I had no idea what kind of snake it was and it could have been venomous. Imagine my surprise when I learned years later she was half right).

Anyway, I live in a small apartment, and because my current space and schedule make a cat, dog, or ferrets impractical, have recently been considering getting a snake again. As it's been quite a while since I had my ribbon, so I'll be looking for some advice in the future.

Re: Another Newcomer

My experience with Ribbon snakes has been less than ideal. Ribbons by their nature are skittish, non-trusting and troubled eaters. What State are you in? There are so many wonderful garters out there.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

Yeah, I was never able to break my ribbon of pooping on me, and he was usually twitchy when trying to handle him, but there was no trouble getting him to eat. He LOVED his fish, and every time I changed out his water he'd pop out of his hiding place to see if there was a snack waiting for him. "Enthusiastic" doesn't really cover it, lol.

I'm in Missouri. Would really love to get a California Red-Sided. Beautiful snakes.

Missouri, prime T. radix territory. Get yourself a nice female. In my opinion T. radix is the best, as it gets in Thamnophis but then again I am a bit biased.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Welcome to the forum Ambar! Nice to have you here.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Never shed

Welcome, you'll find a lot of beautiful garter snake morphs to choose from if buying over the internet.

Never shed

Thanks. I'm actually in need of guidance on the setup I'd like to do, but I still can't post :-P (to be completely honest, this may be one of THE most restrictive forums I've ever visited).

"Third shed In Progress"

It is really an outdated forum setup for sure, not sure why toy can't post though. Also Welcome

Never shed

Any time I try to write a post longer than a couple lines it throws an error about too many URLs or forbidden words.

Never shed

That has never happened to me before.