Thread: Hey Guys!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey Guys!

So, basically my first ever garter snake was a big one my cat caught when i was like 8. It had puncture wounds and i loved to "rescue " animals as a kid so i stuck the poor guy in a ten gallon and sort of nursed him back to health. Shockingly he survived despite his wounds, and i began my love for the snakes. My parents made let him go, but i would spend hours outside catching them and then i would take care of them for a week (or two if my parents forgot i had one) and then release them again. I caught other snakes too (some rat snakes, green snakes, and earth snakes) and absolutely loved caring for them as long as i could. I got piles of books from the library and studied up on snakes, constantly begging my parents to get a ball python or at least let me keep one of my garter snakes.

Now i am older, and i had a young male eastern garter snake named that my parents finally let me keep. I had him for 5 years (he was already full grown when i found him stuck in a pipe, not sure how old he was) and he recently passed away. So, i bought a beautiful female red-sided plains garter snake who is now named Yona. I've had her about a week, and she is settling in nicely. I love garter snakes, and hope to get another sometime that is a more unusual color morph (i have seen some garter snakes on here that i didn't even know existed...so pretty!)

Well, that about sums up my garter snake history. I was (and still am) a weird girl who loves snakes!

Re: Hey Guys!

Welcome. You probably have a Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis, Red-sided garter.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your loss but congrats on the new pickup!
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"Third shed In Progress"

Join the groups "garter snakes" and "thamnophis" on facebook to get tons of garter posts and find breeders who sell garters. Also welcome to the forum.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks guys!!

I joined the groups on facebook! It's really fun to see such a thriving garter snake community! I didn't even know this many people we interested in garter snakes. So cool!