Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Sheddyshedshed!!!

SNAKEMS is going to shed I think!!
    its weird because I JUST noticed it today but her eyes are a cloudy blue color. Like hazy like an old cat or dog's eyes will get over time.
    Yayyy Im so excited

a few questions...

1. How long does this process generally take from when they start to show signs they are about to start a shed? It may vary from snake to snake but an estimated period of time?

2. Is there anything I should be doing to aid her in this process. The outside of her den I would think would be a pretty good surface to rub on because its quite rough and bark like except I think its non porous... not that that would matter but thats randomly something that popped into my head because I was thinking about it not taking on a smell in her tank. Lately since the accident Ive been very careful to make everything as CLEAN as possible. Even the SLIGHTEST smell in there (and I mean SLIGHTEST lol) & I freak.
    But yes, back to the question... Anything different I should be doing as far as her environment goes?
    I already change her water twice daily.

3. Does anyone think the peeling/flaking of her ventral scales is because of the shed?
    I noticed the first areas to get sheddy were the places she was bitten, and the discoloration Im crediting to the betadine cleanings.

4. Will she need more rest than normal during this period? I feel as though Ive noticed her sleeping (or hiding away so that I cant see her so I assume she's sleeping) more than she used to. Nothing REALLY drastic because shes still active but just more than I think I had been seeing

thank you for any ideas or input
    <3 Snakems

Re: Sheddyshedshed!!!

this is good news
    while she may have been getting ready to shed anyway, I think it's probably a sign that her injuries have healed sufficiently
    it is highly individual, but after a few days her eyes will clear up, and she may even look like she already shed - then it'll be another day or so
    then you will probably find the slighter injuries completely gone, and I think there may still be some minor damage underneath, where that bigger ventral injury was
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

This shed may be a little more difficult. Those injury area could be a problem.
    After the shed, check it to see if it's complete. You may have to give a little help.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

i read on some website its important not to bother a snake when theyre going through the shedding phase and no handling. =/
    is this true? because I was just handling her last night for the pics and I didnt know she was going to shed.
    also how will i help her to shed if she needs it if I cant touch her?
    <3 Snakems

"Third shed, A Success"

Snakems, I wouldn't worry about the hadeling bit... If the shed does not come all the way off you could use a humid box. I use a plastic container with holes in it and moist paper towles. Leave the critters in the box for a bit and shed will come off. Works every time.

she will be just fine..it generally averages out to 2 days after the eyes clear up, then they shed. the wanderings I had in high school would shed exactly 2 days after the eyes cleared up. I could tell exactly what day they were gonna shed!!

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Just wanted to say I think you're doing a great job with Snakems Love the name, too I don't know what size water dish she has now, but if she doesn't have one big enough to soak in I'd provide her with one. Some use it, some don't, but with her injuries she may want to soak a bit to loosen the old skin.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

you can touch her, the only reason people say anything like don't touch them during shed is because they are more moody. It will not hurt her at all to touch her during the shedding process!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    you can touch her, the only reason people say anything like don't touch them during shed is because they are more moody. It will not hurt her at all to touch her during the shedding process!
    part of the reason they are "moody" is because its hard to see thru the blue....

When some of mine are in the blue-eyed state that are very fearful, since they can't see near as well.
    Even at feeding time. They have a difficult time finding and grabbing the food.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee