Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Never shed

Striped Keelback/ "Indonesian Garters"

I went to Petco last week, and saw an interesting snake that was labeled as a garter, but by common sense knew that was most definantly NOT a garter, so, I went home, figured out from someone that it is a striped keelback. I willingly went back and bought the snake because, although it was mislabeled as a "Canadian garter snake," I still got it because I like the species. Just because it is mislabeled as a garter does not change the snake.
    So, and the mislabeling is NOT the issue. The issue is that I am pretty ticked now, because people here have been saying my snake is going to die. Spending alot of money, at least to me on it, that I thought was worth it, for something that is going to die quite frankly "Ticks" me off. So, I need an affirmation- even if I follow you instructions on here, is it going to die no matter what I do? How do you know this?
    Also, for those of you have experience with these snakes, what do YOU feed them? I've heard different suggestions, but I want to know what the people who keep them actually feed them..Store-bought of pet store fish or something else..
    Also, I just want to know the tank conditions or any other general information, just good to know.
    I dont want to sound aggressive, I just want to know the chances of my snake living. I rather like him, alot.
    And thanks for the info. That is good to

Re: Striped Keelback/ "Indonesian Garters"

Well, in my opinion, what we've been saying here, is more along the lines that these snakes have a tendency to do poorly. I've lost count of how many people have bought striped keelbacks only to have them die within weeks or months.

Never shed

Is this because of the inexperience or the condition of the snakes themselves?

The condition of these snakes is generally very poor... beyond redemption in fact. They are ALWAYS wild caught, and carry a massive parasitic load. I only know of one or two instances where this species has lived more than a couple of months in captivity, and those keepers have spent fortunes on vet bills.
    Sorry to seem negative, but in all honesty I think your new snake will die because it is already too late to save it.
    James.

The snakes are 99.9% wild caught and always carry a heavy parasite load that will need to be addressed asap. Get a fecal smear test done by your local vet and then apply any necessary treatment. Damn Petco again! Their animals definately DON'T come first.
    But congrats on taking this keelback on. If you can get on top of any issues it will have a better life with you even if it may be shorter than expected.

P.S. I have e-mailed the offenders yet again and suggest we should all do the same.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

on a different note - and not quite so dire - there is a good chance of your snake surviving, if you do all the right things
    i do hope you have a decent herp vet
    i did acquire three of these a couple of years ago from an importer in Florida
    one of them was indeed beyond redemption
    one of them is still doing well, if somewhat skinny at this time
    one escaped when we moved house and was found dead, but she was doing well when i lost her
    all of them had both intestinal parasites and some kind of worm that grows subcutaneously
    with the remaining male the eating can be problematic at times; sometimes he'll take f/t fuzzies or pinks, sometimes not; sometimes salmon strips - or not, trout gel - sometimes; live minnows - no guarantees, but yeah
    he's lived this long, is healthy and a fine pet, but goes through times when he fasts
    hope this helps, and feel free to ask more
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Never shed

Did you go to the vet? And yea, I'm going to try to keep it alive, obviously.

What type of set-up you have? Just courious..

Good luck with this, Ashley. I would love to see photos of a healthy, active, long-term captive Xenochrophis. I wish you all the best.
    James.

Never shed

Thanks I need it..I plan to post pics, but the camera has disappeared and the other is out of memory..

"Preparing For Second shed" Quibble's Avatar

Actually the snake i had when i first joined this forum was a striped keelback from Petco.

i kept it in a tank with moderate humidity and slightly warmer than room temperature, i would mist it with warm water from a spray bottle when i noticed the plants and the sides of the tank were dry. he also had a decent sized water bowl to swim in.

the little guy would eat minnows left and right (guess they're called rosies?) he would eat one a day, occasionaly two.

he never seemed to gain any weight though, and when i held him, he would find a comfy spot to rest his head and sit there... like he was either too tired to fight or just extremely comfortable with people. and when he was in the tank he would hide under things all the time, never interested in what was going on in the world.

well unfortunately after 10 days of purchasing him he passed away, i returned him to petco and got my 20 dollars back, because it was within the 15 days or whatever.

i had a discussion with one of the managers about the differences between keelbacks and garters, and she seemed very interested when i told her i saw his fangs when he ate the minnows. she told me id hear from her that weekend about any information she could find on keelbacks, particularly from their 'breeder'. i havnt heard a word from her yet...