Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fake "rock"

"First shed, A Success" Barak666's Avatar

fake "rock"

I'm currently making some fake rocks for an aquarium, so it is not about garters, but I tought that it might interested some of you. I got a skates tank and I want to improve the decoration. So I start 2 fake rocks to partially split the tank in 2.

The tanks size is about 6 feet wide X 12 feet long and 2 feet depth. It inhabitants are 2 barndoor skates, 6 winter skates, 1 shorthorn sculpin, 1 sea raven and plenty of waved whelks (scavenger). The fake rock will serve a separation in the middle of the tank (with a way between the rock for the animal to pass) to keep the food on the side where I feed them, it is mostly to simplifies the cleaning of the food in over.

Here an overview of the tank in question

For the fake rocks, I use styrofoam to give the overall shape, then I coat it with sikatop 121, who is a waterproof cement.

That one without the cement on it :

And with a coat of cement on it

The next steps will be to coat the hollow inside of them, then maybe a second coat on it with some cement pigment. I will add some weight inside to make sure they don't float.

I still have to wait some weeks to make sure the cement is well dry, and then I will put it underwater.

So this technique can be use to make smaller or bigger decorative element for your garters enclosures, it is way lighter than true rock (and it is pretty easy to do).

Re: fake "rock"

nice little bricolage
    keep us updated
    should be interesting to see the changes
    I´ve made the coverage of my brumation den in the outdoor
    enclosure like that.
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman

You should probably soak it for a while too after it dries as it will send the PH levels in your water through the roof

"First shed, A Success" Barak666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ameivaboy View Post
    You should probably soak it for a while too after it dries as it will send the PH levels in your water through the roof
    If I had use any other cement, I would have to do it, but the sikatop 121, is made with a special resin, who made it completely neutral and safe for fishes (normally used for drinkable water systems) once dry.

A guy on another forum made some tests with osmosis water, and the pH never change with the sikatop 121.

But your advise is important if you don't use waterproof cement like the sikatop 121. Cause effectively the cement will release limestone (not sure about the google translation for Calcaire) who will affect the pH.

"Third shed, A Success" HazAnga's Avatar

awesome, looks like something you could do to make a funky hide with a water reservoir on top or something like that.
    Call me Nick
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Bo)
    http://forestcitycorns.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Barak666 View Post
    But your advise is important if you don't use waterproof cement like the sikatop 121. Cause effectively the cement will release limestone (not sure about the google translation for Calcaire) who will affect the pH.
    It is Calcium (or Calciumhydrogencarbonat) that will increase pH and water hardness.

@HazAnga:
    You may build all kinds of decorations like this. It´s quiet common over here to build entire individual back wall decorations for terrariums and aquariums. In the Netherlands there are annual competitions of building large decorated enclosures. If seen some presentations about that and I can tell: Some of those are better than lots of zoo enclosures, that I´ve seen.
    best wishes bis bald Udo

Banned

I'm sure that if water hardness is a problem that there is something we can coat this with to prevent the leaching of calcium into the water.

Very good job, and nice looking "rocks" you have made.

Two weeks later...
    What´s about an update?
    best wishes bis bald Udo

Banned

Have you guys seen this? I'm going to try it one of these days. I already have the pump, filter, etc. needed to do this. I just need to build the feature.

How to build a waterfall for a terrarium

ya! its just like the one i bought from zoomed...i might build one bigger though....but the pump that comes with it (zoomed repti-rapids) is amazing! easy to clean and works like a charm!
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "