Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Unhappy Help! Snake gone mad

Hey guys! My name is gabby(: me and my mom have a stray Gartner snake and she's bin great till this morning. Since we've found her in July she has shaded 4 times. This morning my mom noticed she wasnt as responsive as she usually is. Her eyes were milky and we knew she was getting ready to shed by my mom saw how her lips were stickin out like there was something there then she noticed blood going down her neck and on some bark. She actually let us pick her up with out her striking like she usually does. We were cleaning out her tubes she sleeps in saw allm these dead worms. Her neck is skinny but her body is like huge. She doesn't seem right please voice what yu think

Ps she isn't bleeding anymore it's dry blood
    Last edited by Gabn0mn0m; 03-06-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Re: Help! Snake gone mad

It definitely doesn't seem right and unfortunately I don't think any of us can help. If the snake is bleeding, you need to get it to a vet as soon as possible.

Hi, I'm New Here!

It's like dried blood she isn't bleeding anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Gabn0mn0m View Post
    It's like dried blood she isn't bleeding anymore
    That doesn't change the situation. Your snake needs a good reptile vet asap from the sounds of it. It sounds like it may have regurgitated although that isn't usually accompanied with bleeding.
    What type of worms have you been feeding? Was she a wild snake? Did you get her checked for parasites when you first got her? What set-up are you using - temperature, feeding regime, etc.
    Pictures may help if you can post some.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Hi, I'm New Here!

We didn't take her to a vet bc we are letting her go in the summer we feed her regular worms not the red ones we looked that up. We use a basic lamp to keep her warm like I know there isn't Anything wrong with what we are doing bc if there was she would be like in worse shape way before . I just like got her to open her mouth and it looks normal besides what looks like dirt in her upper lip flaps or whatever but she isnt moving slot and maybe this is how she is when she's getting ready to shed but I'll post pics when
    My comp works

Parasites/infections can build up quite readily in a WC snake. Blood + regurgitation is not something you should brush aside just because she seems OK now.
    Snakes are generally inactive during the shed cycle but ... if she usually bites at you she would be even more defensive in her vulnerable state.
    You need to seek a vet or at the very least have someone local to you who keeps garters and is experienced inspect the snake in person. There's only so much we can do here and/or speculate about.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Welcome to the forum Gabby.
    A Vet visit would be best as it will give you a professional opinion on your snakes health.
    Be sure to find a Vet. that deals with reptiles, especially snakes.
    Regurgitating happens but isn't something you see very often. It is a cause for concern or at least put you on alert. Finding blood also adds to the concern.
    Shedding can be a stressful time for some snakes.
    Check you worms. Did they look normal? Where do you get your worms?
    Best of luck with your snake and we look forward to seeing some pictures.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

We're not vets, so please take your snake to one. If you want an alternative course of action, euthanasia is always an option.

1. get to a vet!
    2. get to a vet
    3.welcome im robert....and get to a vet
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

Banned

I'm thinking the "blood" you see is not the snakes blood or blood at all. Not sure what you mean by you see "all these worms". Are you talking about earth worms that you fed to the snake? Also don't know what you mean by "neck is skinny but her body is like huge"