Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Everyday Items.

Everyday Items.

I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to items we use in the keeping of our snakes.
    These items may be normal for us to use but maybe other forum members have never thought about using them in that way.
    Or maybe it's an item that is used in a completely different way from its original design.
    I'll get things going with this.

Feeding dishes:
    Lids from- Pringles, pickle jar, cream cheese containers,
    I've also watched Walmart for clearance Holiday plastic bowls. They can be cut with a pair of scissors and made into very nice feeding dishes

I've also found the $1.99 pair of scissors in the checkout area at Hobby Lobby work great for cutting worms and pinkies.
    I've spent $10 for a pair of scissors that didn't work as well or last as long as these.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Re: Everyday Items.

Paper towel rolls. They love climbing through it!! We cut little windows in them too. They don't last very long (because they wet), but with 5 people in the house we go through paper towels pretty quick.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"because they wet"
    What, you don't have your snakes potty trained? Oh,my
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

oops they GET wet.... hahahaha can you tell i'm a blonde??
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

The plastic lid from a "yo crunch" yogurt container, glass ash trays.. candy dishes.

Ice cream buckets are great for gathering and keeping worms.

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    Ice cream buckets are great for gathering and keeping worms.
    And feeding containers if you don't feed your snakes in their enclosure.

-Thomas

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Plastic Chinese takeout containers as soaking containers/shipping cups. dollar store hair cutting scissors as food choppers.

If you have a soldering iron, taking any plastic shoebox or container and using the iron (outdoors only) to cut a u shaped hole into one side, then spray paint it black and turn it upside down for an instant hidebox!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Tongs and skewers to present food items to the snakes. (Although Scarlett is very skittish about them and tends not to strike unless the food is on the ground in front of her).

As for paper towel rolls, I found something in someone's trash that was way better: bamboo. It's like paper towel rolls made of wood. Someone in my neighborhood was throwing a bunch of it out (presumably from their yard), and I collected several pieces, which I used for a number of things. Unfortunately, I'm now down to about 3 pieces now, but Scarlett loves crawling through one of them.

Bricks. Bricks make excellent substitute for rocks, and are really cheap if you know where to get them.

When I built my snake trap and my two-part enclosure, I saved the plastic disks from the flange pipes, which I use to put fish pieces, nightcrawlers, etc., so the snakes won't be eating substrate. I also sometimes use cheap plates and bowls from Wal-Mart.

Here's a useful device:

What the heck is that, you might ask? It's a kerosene syphon pump. I got two of them at Wal-Mart for about $2 each. Along with a 4 foot length of plastic tubing and a couple of cheap 5 gallon buckets, these things are perfect for cleaning out the water enclosure.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Butter lids for feeding dishes, and coolwhip bowls for water. They're deep enough that the snakes can soak most of their bodies in them if they want but don't take up too much space.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I do what Shannon does, plastic chinese food containers. We get so many of them, I just swap them out, wash and get ready for another swap out! Dollar store has nice ceramic bowls (if you want to get fancy) but as stated in another thread, my snakes like boxes, so no more expensive hides around here! It'll be boxes, cardboard tubes, plastic thingy's and the such!

Oh and thanks Wayne, I love the shredded aspen from Walmart (now that I found it) best stuff so far for keeping clean and not so smelly in the summer time!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."