Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    small town of Durand,MI. which ever direction you are going out of or town you wil going uphilll

Pheobe my Eastern Garter

This is my Eastern Garter snake. I dont know how how old she is. How am I able to tell. Sorry about the water spots. Its from misting or pour water on her, which she loves both. She is pregnant but I dont know how far along. Shes a little over 3 foot long and because shes pregnant shes about the size around of a 50 cent peice. Shes gonna shed again in the next day or 2 . Her eyes were fogged for about 3 days and they cleared up today. Like I said Id like to know how Im sopposed to tell how old she is. Oh, along both sides of the center stripe on her back is skinny red lines. They look soo much wider now beacause of pregnancy. How long are they pregnant for and how do they act right before having babies. She has gotten more aggressive for a little over 2 weeks now maybe a cpl days longer. Anything that you can tell me will be awesome. Thank you all and Im glad I found these forums cause everyone is soo nice. Thanks all.
    I wanted to Thank you Steve for your help with the heating pad.

I have 4 Easterns(mine: Furbie and Whiplash; moms: Diamond and Silky) all are 5 and half months old. So much fun gaters are.

Re: Pheobe my Eastern Garter

only way to tell is to raise it from birth. nice looking snake too!!!

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Awesome snake!!

small town of Durand,MI. which ever direction you are going out of or town you wil going uphilll

Thank you all... Is there any signs right before she has her babies because Ive only seen babies when I woke up or somthing but never at the time of being born.

I have 4 Easterns(mine: Furbie and Whiplash; moms: Diamond and Silky) all are 5 and half months old. So much fun gaters are.

From what I know, theres no real way to know. You can tell she's gravid, and can often tell if it will be soon, but mostly it's just waiting. Theres stuff you can do, but really I don't know what and can't help....

I am assuming gravid means ready but I dont know all these terms everyone is using like gravid, het... And I cant remember some of the others. Is there a spot in a forum that has all those term cause Ive tried to look for them a couldnt find anything.
    Thank you for helping though. Anything right now people say is like new. I thought I knew kindof a lot but realized tht I dontknow as much as I thought. I know how to keep them alive and thats awesome but I didnt really now much else I guess...lol. Thank u

Well, gravid means pregnant.

Het means it carries the gene or something, so the snake can be normal, but if bred will produce whatever its het for.

Het albino, means he'd produce some albinos, but doesn't have to be one.

My flame is het erythristic, so he's a flame, but if I bred him, id have some ery babies.

Something like that.

No, there's nowhere i know of to look them up. Just ask.

well you learn something new everyday. Thank you very much. In the past few days sence Ive been in these forums Ive learned tons and I love it. So interesting. So when Pheobe has her babies and some look different then its probably because of the Het. Right? When the babies are born I will deff take lots of photos and post them. Im hoping to get atleast one with more red or the all tan one one of my past snakes have had before. I woulda kept the tan but I didnt know how to raise the babies. In the past few days Ive learned so much about that and I am pretty sure it will work out. Im not going to keep all but about 2-3 to start and let the rest go. I dont want to over well myself with to many the first time trying it. I also know that if I have any questions that the people here are very helpful and quick at responding. I love tht. Thank you

Uh... Well.. Sorta. I don't know the details on hets and stuff.

Babies really aren't hard to keep. If you were to keep them all, I'd just keep them like you two, but offer more food.

Your other thread has info on that....

ok thank you.