Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A tale of many snakes

Here's how my story goes. It may have been last summer, or the summer before that (I don't have the greatest memory) that I captured three garter snakes at my grandpa's house and took them home with me. One of them at one time got out, but we found her again. Then, to my surprise, all three of those snakes gave birth. Some of the little snakes didn't make it through the birthing process, but most did. Well, we kept them in a separate tank from their mothers. Some got out now and then, and we put them back. One time we found a smushed one on the floor. That was sad to see. Since we didn't have any idea how to take care of baby snakes, we decided to release them. All save one, because it was too small and weak to survive in the wild. It didn't matter though, since it died anyway. Well, after that, we found another one who had gotten out and was wiggling around on the floor. I decided to keep that one and take care of it. I did the best I could (though maybe I could have done better; I don't know), but the poor thing didn't make it. One of the mother garter snakes we gave to a friend. Another died. I'm guessing now that it died from impaction. It must've swallowed a woodchip (which is what we used to use for bedding; we don't anymore). The other one we still have, and in fact my little brother is taking care of it. He loves that snake. She's so tame. She'll eat nightcrawlers right out of your hand. I also once found a brown snake at my grandpa's (Storeria dekayi) and took it home to care for. I loved that little guy, but a few days ago he went missing from his cage, and we haven't found him since. I hope he's alright wherever he is. And I hope that maybe we'll find him (alive). So, that's my story. Oh, and I found this forum by searching Storeria dekayi on Google, and thought it was an interesting place. And since I've kept garter snakes and a brown snake, and may do so again in the future, I thought I might join. So hello everyone! :P

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Re: A tale of many snakes

Welcome to the forum!

For your missing brown snake, try putting out a heat source (like a heat mat covered in a towel if you have one), a hide, and a bowl of water. That's the quickest way to find them.
    Also, I've seen people use a bowl of warmed whole milk to lure out wild snakes when they wander into houses (something about the smell I guess..) Eh, strange, but it sometimes works.

Could you post pics or descriptions of your cages in another thread? If you're having problems with escapees you might get some good tips on keeping them in their tanks. They're definitely escape artists, all of them
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Welcome to the forum family! The care sheet is a great place to start. Would love to see some pics of your dekayi (once you find it) and your brother's garter.
    Garter Snake Care Sheet - Caresheets
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Nice to have you on the forum.
    Sounds like you a major security problem.
    Keeping them secure and free from harm is a big part of caring for them.
    Hoping you solve this problem and soon.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

The tank wasn't completely covered. It had an open space in the back, but that's never been a problem. The brown snake was never able to get out, until I put a heat rock in there. I'm guessing he climbed up the cord and got out.

SCOUSER

Welcome from a finally dry Liverpool

baby's especially can glide up glass after wetting their bodies in the water bowl, these little fella's make Houdini look like an amateur
    ​I'm not actually a gynecologist...but i'll take a look.

It wasn't a baby though. It was an adult.

I put a heat rock, a bowl of warm milk, and that coconut cave he liked to hide in so much on the floor in my room to lure him out of hiding. I'm skeptical that it will work though, since we have a decent-sized house with three floors (I'm including the basement) and so many places for him to hide in. Especially since my room's probably the coolest place in the house, and it's on the second/top floor. Is there a place he's most likely to be in? The basement? The warmest part of the house? Please help me.

Warm milk?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Yes