Hi, I'm New Here!

Chances of a gravid female?

Hey guys bit of a beginner when it comes to breeding garters so I thought if ask a few questions as you guys/girls seem pretty helpful. Now, I have 3 checkered garters, 2 females 1 male. They have all been housed together for around 2 years and they get along fine. The females weigh 150grams and 147 grams as of a few months ago. They have always been super tame and I have never been bitten by the. Today when I went to feed them I found one of the females looks larger especially toward her vent, nothing crazy but defiantly noticeable. She came straight put for the food struck the mouse instantly and very enthusiastically swallowed it round the wrong way, she usually is fairly slow to strike and always swallows it head first. I went to put her back in the main tank and she turned and bit me twice the second time she actually started to try to swallow me, this being completely out of her nature, I started to wonder if she could be gravid and when I thought back I remember the past week she's been on her own coiled under her hide more often than usual and she shedded earlier than usual.At the minute she seems a little restless and occasionally quite moody and anytime I go near her tank she could up and raises her head at me. She is now in a desperate tank whilst I monitor her. So my question is are any of these signs of pregnancy? If so how far into the gestation period is she(early or late)? Any info at all will be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
    1.1 Checkered Garter. 1.0 Albino Checkered Garter
    1.0 Amazon Tree Boa. 1.0 Lavender Corn
    2.0 Musk Turtle. 0.1 Normal Royal Python

Re: Chances of a gravid female?

I personally have not bred snakes, but I did a little digging for you and found an interesting read.

Behavioral shifts associated with reproduction in garter snakes
    Jonathan
    0.1 Parietalis - Suzi
    0.1 T.Radix - Xena
    My Public Photobucket

The chances that she is gravid are good since you house a male with her. Age and weight certainly are good for breeding. I would do a weekly before feeding weight on her. 60-90 days on gestation but that will be hard to judge since you don't have a conception date. I've found with my snakes it's between 60-70 days.
    Only time will tell if she is truly gravid.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

I knew I could count on this forum for some good answers thanks guys, if anything pops out ill put up photos. Should be 50% albinos and 50% hets
    1.1 Checkered Garter. 1.0 Albino Checkered Garter
    1.0 Amazon Tree Boa. 1.0 Lavender Corn
    2.0 Musk Turtle. 0.1 Normal Royal Python

Awesome! Looking forward to updates!
    Jonathan
    0.1 Parietalis - Suzi
    0.1 T.Radix - Xena
    My Public Photobucket