Thread: Snake Meds

Question Snake Meds

Hi all,
    I'm getting tired of paying $42 (USD) per office visit to the vet in addition to the price of snake medications. I have my own scales, microscope, and dosage chart. I know a protist when I see it swimming in a stool sample, so I don't feel like I need to pay for a vet to tell me, "yep, it has a protozoan infection." Has anyone ever tried ordering from an online pharmacy? Are they reliable? Any recommendations?

Can Flagyl, Panacur, Ivermectin, etc. be ordered in Canada or Europe without a prescription from a veterinarian? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks,
    Rick

Re: Snake Meds

Hi just wondered if could you tell me what magnification microscope you need to be able to see internal parasites as i was thinking of buying one?

Thanks

You can see most of the worms (hookworms, pinworms, etc.) with a dissecting microscope (1-3x), but a compound microscope is necessary to see the cysts, eggs, protists, etc.

Hi all,
    I wanted to revive this thread in response to Steve's question because it seems like a logical place to put an update on snake meds.

A while ago, Kitkat passed a source to me for online meds that have the same potency (concentration) as those recommended for snakes (Fish-Zole). I've only bought supplies from them twice, but I've been very happy with their service. They seem to be a great company and deliver very quickly, accurately, and professionally. They sell products that I couldn't find locally without a prescription from a vet. Perhaps Kitkat has more details about her experience with them or about who they are. Thanks again, Kitkat .

In recommending this source for medications, I think that I should also recommend a book called Understanding Reptile Parasites (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/misc...gestedreadings). It explains how to use these meds properly and the proper doseage. Improper administration of any medication can be particularly harmful to the liver and kidneys, as well as other organs, depending on the type of medication that's given.
    Rick
    Last edited by Cazador; 01-30-2007 at 08:51 AM.

I use <a href = "http://www.revivalanimal.com">Revival</a> for a variety of cat medications and cat vaccines, for my rescue cats. I have used them for years. They have always protected my privacy, given great service, and usually have what I need. That's how I know them.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Subadult snake

this looks like a good place ... never ordered anything however you can get lower level antibitocs ... check it out

Veterinary supplies and wholesale pet supplies online for dogs, cats and horses at calvetsupply.com!