Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Cant get a snake =[

Hello, my name is Joe. Im 13 years old and I live in New York. I want a snake more than anything in the world.

My mom wont let me get a snake because she is afraid of them. I wanted a cornsnake and I did months of research on them. Now Im trying to get my mom to overcome her fear of snakes, by taking her to petstores and showing her the snakes and I handle them. I also show her all the cages that have locks on them so it cant escape.
    I would rather have a cornsnake, but maybe if my mom will let me, I can get a garter snake because they are a lot smaller.

If anyone can help me with my mom, please reply =[

Re: Cant get a snake =[

Welcome aboard!

I think you're already doing the right thing by teaching her about the snakes and how they are kept. There's not much more you can do, besides proving to her that you are able to take care of it and that it can't escape. She needs to get used to the idea of having snakes around and exposure seems to be the only way to deal with fears. I don't suppose you know somebody who keeps snakes and could discuss it with her?

I also know a couple of dirty tricks, but I better keep them to myself. They can backfire so easily.

Hi, I'm New Here!

My cousin has a boa but he doesnt talk to anyone.. I havent heard him speak in like 5 years. So cant really ask him... I was just going to go out and bring home a cornsnake and then my mom would get used to it.. but I dont know what my mom would do...

I wouldn't recommend it. It wouldn't be fair to the snake or your mom.

Hey Joe,
    Welcome to the forum. I think the way to go is to spend a little money and buy a book about taking care of snakes before you bring home a live snake. That way your mom will see you reading about them, and you can share little tidbits that will hopefully comfort her, like garter snakes eat worms, fish, amphibians, and so on... not moms . Check out Garter and Ribbon Snakes: Facts and Advise on Care and Breeding. It's currently selling for $2.50 plus postage.

Garter and Water Snakes by David Perlowin is even better and is currently selling for $8.95 plus postage.

You can find both books at (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/misc...=bestofenglish). I'm sure you'll be very happy with your choice of buying a garter. They're excellent little snakes with friendly dispositions. They're also small, which makes them less threatening to someone who is overcoming a fear of snakes. In the mean time, talk to your mom about taking care of snakes and the interesting little bits you learn. Some people have a visceral fear of them, and seeing them just turns their stomach. Educating your mom about them is the key, and it can only benefit you as well. Cheers,
    Rick

I also got my first snake when I was at home, but that wasn't that easy. Patience is the key.

She might think you're a bit to young to take care of it. Just let her see that you're serious, buy a book. Take her to the pet shop or a local zoo with reptiles. Let her see you're serious about it.

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

You will have to let her know that you are very serious about getting a snake.
    Some reading, like Cazador wrote, will help.
    Patience is also an important issue.
    And maybe you can visit a zoo in your neighbourhood or someone who keeps snakes together with your mom.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Hi, I'm New Here!

My mom doesnt even let me finish a sentance with the word snake in it. She wont come with me anywhere to see reptiles. I don't know what to do. Ill go get some books today.

Good for you, Joe. You'll have to take small steps with your mom. It sounds like she's going to be particularily resistant, but I'm sure she'll enjoy seeing you reading. Don't push your mom too fast. Just read in the living room where she can see that you're reading and learning. Small steps, my friend . She sounds like she will really resist if you push too hard or too fast.
    Rick

Well, that was a pretty random post.