Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Questions about our first garter snake

Afternoon everyone.

I bought my wife a snake yesterday, it's an albino chequered garter snake (T. marcianus we think), and it's our first snake, and she's called "Binky". From what we've read online I think we have a lovely little snake and I'm glad to have a garter rather than a rat or corn snake (I'm guessing you guys on here would agree). I've got a few questions where I've read conflicting information. There's a few questions, so thanks in advance for the advice you're about to give us.

She's about 32cm long, we didn't get a DOB from the shop (I'm trying to find out more from them) but I'm guessing that means she's about 5-6 months old which would tie in with a Spring birth. Is her size in the right ballpark?

She was quite active when we first put her in it's viv, she had a good explore, a bit of a burrow in the aspen, and wasn't bothered by us watching, then she found the cool hide full of moss. We've not really seen her since.
    - Is it normal for them to disappear into a hide for something like 18 hours? Is this part of acclimatising to the new home?

According to the shop she's been with them for 2 weeks and had two feeds, eating pinkies. She would have been due a feed today, but they advised only feeding once a week...
    - Given her size, I should be cutting the pinkie into smaller pieces?
    - Should I not feed her until she's happy in her new home?
    - And I'm planning to feed her twice a week based on previous advice on here, is she likely to eat a whole pinkie twice a week, or half at a time?

I've referred to her as female, we don't know for sure. When she decides to come out I'll try to get some photos of her tail so that you can tell us whether she is actually a he...

Thanks for taking the time to read about our Binky.

Re: Questions about our first garter snake

Welcome to the forum! I will let Steve post the care sheet for you. He must have it hard coded. Would love to see pictures.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Thanks Le Ann. She came out for a few minutes an hour ago so we're not so worried, but headed back for cover when we got closer... I'll get some photos soon I'm sure.

I've read through the care sheets (and a lot of forum posts... trying to learn quickly), the bit it doesn't cover is how long it's normal for them to disappear for a whole day. And it's inferred, but I'm not certain whether we can safely leave her unfed for a couple of weeks. And how often do they need to drink?
    So many questions... you think you've read what you need to know, then when you have one you realise that there's still so much you don't know.

Very nice to have you on the forum.
    You couldn't have made a better choice for your wife.
    Garter snake are active and curious and your snake may just be settling in as you've already pointed out.
    Keep in mind an albino will hide more as most light is hard on their eyes. This may be something to keep in mind as you modify the enclosure.
    It's good that your snake is taking pinkies but most keeper believe a varied diet is best as all food come with good and not so good traits.
    A diet of worms and pinkies would be much better than pinkies alone(in my opinion)
    Here is a link to the care sheet which should answer many question and the ones it doesn't feel free to post on the forum. I will also leave a link to a "sexing" thread which will give you some idea of how to sex your snake.
    It will also show you the kind of photos to post if you would like us to help.
    The Gilfillan's of Iowa wish you the best.

Garter Snake Care Sheet - Caresheets
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/bree...xing-pics.html
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Like Steve said, she may hide more because light bothers her more, being albino. She may also avoid you right now because you are new to her. Garters are so loved by us because they are very curious animals. She will come around, as she will not be able to control her curiosity of you. She needs some time. As for feeding, she may not eat for you for a few days; up to a few weeks. She needs to get comfortable. Keep offering food and she'll come around when ready. Good luck with her.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Banned

Every albino I've ever had has avoided bright light. UV exposure is definitely a big no-no but they just don't like bright light. With the "Ideal" or warm temperatures most people give their snakes, all my albinos like to come out right after dark. There's always a flurry of activity at that time which tapers off as the night cools. I even have a normal or two that exhibits the same behavior. I don't see them come out until after dark. Garter snakes are normally diurnal but during warm weather they can and do become crepuscular. (active when it's dark/nearly dark, but still warm)

When Amy was much younger, if I'm holding her and walk into the kitchen (well lit with florescent lights) she would literally "leap" out of my hand. Same thing if I turn on a light above her.

Most albino garters are crepuscular in my experience and even normals are during hot daytime temps and warm nights.
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 09-05-2011 at 04:43 PM.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Welcome to the forum! Can you post pics of your snake?
    She's probably hiding mainly because she's just getting used to her new home, but she should start coming out to investigate before long.

Also, vision problems are more common in albinos... If this is the case, then it might take her a bit longer than usual to get over being shy, but even visually impaired garters can be very friendly and lots of fun once they get to know you. (Albino checkereds are notorious for genetic defects, but being in Europe maybe the lines aren't quite as inbred?)
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

When she comes out again, I'll definitely be taking the opportunity to photograph her. So far today there's no sign of her, although she could easily have slipped out and back into her hide while I've been working.

Is she likely to come out if I wave some food in front of her hide? I read that they need to be comfortable before they will eat, so I've interpreted that as it being pointless to use food to tempt her out.

We decided to let her hide and wait for her to come out on her own, but I'm going to hit a limit to how long I can wait without wanting to check she's still alive in there... Is it a bad thing to pick up her hide? Worried it may be counter-productive and she'll just take longer to trust us.

Hunger can be used to breakdown that fear barrier.
    I have wild radixes that will comeout to me when they know I have food for them.
    Once they get the food they head back to their hide.

Once your snake realizes you're not a threat and actually have something good for them they will bug/beg you all the time for some food.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Thanks Steve. I'll try tempting her out with food.

It sounds like she'll behave like the cat does once she's got used to us. Sleep. Sleep. Eat. Sleep. Bit of activity. Sleep...