The importance of checking things - resin formed vivarium 'furniture'.

Yesterday I posted on another forum with this topic. I think it needs to be brought up more in the hobby, especially to raise awareness amongst novice keepers -

While sanding numerous sharp edges and spines capable of being responsible for shallow puncture wounds from some new purchases (I had a hankering for for new hides) I asked myself the same old question - How is it OK for big name manufacturers to sell items that are supposedly designed for use with an animal, that are not safe to be used without modification?

Just a thought .... any unexperienced keeper could face an injured animal (I have a recent example of this via a novice whose parietalis luckily only received surface damage).

Should she have checked? - Yes
    Do I think it should be necessary to check a reptile branded product? - No
    Who does the blame fall on? - The manufacturer, in my opinion.

Money is surely not the issue considering the profits the big companies make. At the very least a visible/prominent disclaimer on the packaging would be a plus (but I would still resent having to do someone elses job).

Out of more than 20 resin hides in my collection I believe only 3 were judged safe enough to be used by my snakes without the sandpaper treatment. The more I think about it, the more unacceptable it becomes.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Re: The importance of checking things - resin formed vivarium 'furniture'.

No, I don't find it acceptable.

I do think money is an issue. Checking for and sanding down edges at the factory means hiring at least one extra person, and it slows down packaging and distribution. I think there should be a person doing that, but I can understand that the manufacturer doesn't believe it's worth the money.

Just to give my own opinion on some of your questions:

How is it OK for big name manufacturers to sell items that are supposedly designed for use with an animal, that are not safe to be used without modification?
    It's not okay, in my opinion. It can still be made safe, though, so it's not quite as bad as it could be.

Should she have checked?
    Yes, but she shouldn't have to. I think it's an unreasonable demand. At the very least the manufacturer should inform the buyers about potential sharp edges.

Do I think it should be necessary to check a reptile branded product?
    Absolutely not.

Who does the blame fall on?
    I'm reluctant to only blame the manufacturer, as price is always an issue and people tend to vote with their wallets. I can see myself blaming the manufacturer as well as fellow hobbyists who accept goods that require modification.

Thing is - for the volume produced, with, lets say, China as the country of manufacture, I can't see the additional cost being more than a few or so pence/cents per item. Minimal dent in profits as far as I'm concerned.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

I can't see why they'd accept that dent in profits. I'm sure someone has done the math and concluded that the current way of doing things is more profitable.

:P here I was ... hoping capitalism was dead lol