Hi, I'm New Here!

Some questions considering communal housing

I bought my first garter snake in the end of January this year, a female thamnophis proximus orarius. My question is, can my garter be kept with any other thamnophis subspieces, or can she only be kept with other thamnophis proximus subspecies, or only snakes of her very own kind, t.p. orarius? Also, I've heard she's a ribbon snake, but still a part of thamnophis. How does that work? Can ribbon snakes be kept together with garter snakes?

Finally, I don't think she is full grown yet. Should I wait until she reaches full size before I introduce another snake? Or is it better for the snakes to get used to each other from a young age? Is there a risk that garter snakes with too big of a size gap can try to hurt or even eat each other? There is an expo coming up in May where I live, and I'm considering investing in a checkered garter snake, depending on the response I get from you guys, of course

Sorry for the heap of questions, but I can't seem to find a thread on this subject anywhere.

Thankful for any help!

Never shed

Re: Some questions considering communal housing

Ribbons and garters can be kept together quite successfully, ******* (name forgotten) @ the radix ranch has a pretty big ribbon in with some radixes,

As for eating each other, just make sure it's not a species of garter known for doing it.

Size gap, you want snakes of the same size in the same enclosure, for one, similar prey size, and for two, the larger one can hog the favorite chill spots and or the water bowl. However this behavior unlikely with garters.

Have no worries about when or how old your garter is when cage mate is introduced, just make sure the new one is introduced when the one already owned is somewhat active, and watch for a short time make sure they see and know about one another and if they don't break out in fighting your probably good to go.

Aim for having 2 animals of the same sex in the enclosure to avoid the possibility of hybrids (if unwanted) I'm unsure and not much is known of what species can and/or cant hybridize.

Hope this helps
    -branden

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by Reedsbreeds View Post
    Ribbons and garters can be kept together quite successfully, ******* (name forgotten) @ the radix ranch has a pretty big ribbon in with some radixes,

As for eating each other, just make sure it's not a species of garter known for doing it.

Size gap, you want snakes of the same size in the same enclosure, for one, similar prey size, and for two, the larger one can hog the favorite chill spots and or the water bowl. However this behavior unlikely with garters.

Have no worries about when or how old your garter is when cage mate is introduced, just make sure the new one is introduced when the one already owned is somewhat active, and watch for a short time make sure they see and know about one another and if they don't break out in fighting your probably good to go.

Aim for having 2 animals of the same sex in the enclosure to avoid the possibility of hybrids (if unwanted) I'm unsure and not much is known of what species can and/or cant hybridize.

Hope this helps
    -branden
    His name is Steve. @ the radix ranch. Sorry if you see that and found it offensive Steve, I remembered your YouTube video about your big ribbon... female I think, but was drawing a blank for names

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Reedsbreeds View Post

Hope this helps
    -branden
    Thank you for the reply!

If I add a snake now, that is about the same size as the one I already have, isn't there a risk that one of the snakes can grow much larger than the other? Will that cause fights, or will the snakes be used to each other by that time?
    Also, I've heard ribbon snakes have a more slender build, compared to female checkereds, for example. Will that be a problem?

Hi, I'm New Here!

By the way, my enclosure is 90x45x45cm (about 35x18x18 inches I believe). Is that large enough for two female garters?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Make sure to supervise the feeding in your communal enclosure. Sometimes fights over the same piece of food can break out and the more dominant and larger individual can injure the smaller. Possibly even swallow the smaller one! Be careful.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.