Thread: limp back half

Hi, I'm New Here!

limp back half

I'm currently in a very remote area of coastal British Columbia. I found a garter snake this morning on the beach that looked like it may have washed in with the tide. I thought she was dead but she had gone into hibernation from the cold (or it seemed that way anyway, she might just barely be living), so I moved her off the beach and draped her over a warm water bottle in the bushes for a while. It eventually became evident that more care was necessary, so I built a make-shift enclosure for her (I used to work at a wildlife rehab center so I know the basics of what she needs for an enclosure, although its not as warm as I'd like it to be. It is warmer than outside though and we do have wild garter snakes living outside here.). She did eat a small banana slug, and I've brought her another one though she hasn't eaten it yet. She looks like she's about to shed too. She might even be blind at this point (her eyes are totally blue).
    What concerns me most though is that she's leaving her back half quite limp, even when I touch her (when I touch her she moves her front half). She even lets it roll upside down when she drags it around (which is rarely, she's not moving a ton. Right now she's got her front half hidden in the hideaway and her back half part way through the water dish under the desk lamp I'm using as a light since we don't have any heat lamps here). There was a moment earlier today where I went to move her back half and she was holding it in place over the water bottle, but since then she hasn't flexed any muscles in the back half. I've never owned snakes, and I don't know if she's got an injury back there or if she's dying or if she's just too exhausted and stressed to care/bother moving that half.
    Any ideas what's going on? Ideally I'd prefer to bring her back to health over the next several days if possible, and if it's a survivable injury that would kill her in the wild I might see if there's somewhere I can keep her until I go home and bring her back with me, but if she's really suffering/definitely going to die I'd rather just put her out in the cold and let her go into hibernation until she dies of heat loss instead of prolonging her suffering.

Re: limp back half

Is there any way you can post some pictures or even a video? It's hard to say what is going on, it could be an injury. If this is something that ends up life threatening it would be much more humane to put it down rather than letting it suffer outside. If it comes to that, there are others on the forum who have dealt with that and can advise on the best, least painful way.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

It sounds like a spinal injury to me. She might survive, partially paralyzed, if her innards still function normally. Quality of life would depend on how well she does mooving around on her front half.

In your place I 'd make her comfortable, offer water and a bit of cut up nightcrawler.(take the fight out of the worms.) Watch for defecation and consider options for euthanasia should recovery prospects look bad.)
    If she does eat and pool and get around her enclosure adequately, she will probably still require assistance to live long. (Protection and shed assists on paralyzed area.)

As the others said..it's very hard to tell at this point. Sometimes it's also difficult to tell when snakes are in pain. If she eats and poops..that would be a good sign. I take it because you are in a remote area...there are no exotic vets that you could take her to? If it comes to the point of ending her suffering..as Kat said, we could advise a way to do that in a way that would be humane/ cause the least amount of suffering. Glad you found her and you are trying your best to help her.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

You've been given a lot of good advice. I'm glad you took the time to offer some help to this snake.
    You may not be dealing with a garter at all.
    Please keep us informed.
    Here's a link to the care sheet although you are in a different situation at this time it is still a good read.
    A photo would be great as we could I.D. the snake and give you some better advice on care.
    Here's a link that might help you I.D. the snake.

Reptiles of BC : Snakes
    Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks all for the great advice. Unfortunately, it's too late. I don't think she even made it through the night. She's back out on the beach now so that at least her death can feed some of the eglets and raven chicks in the area.

I'm so sorry to hear that....but I am glad that she had you to care for her and offer her love and comfort in her finally hours. She most likely had internal injuries that she could not recover from. Thank you for trying to save her and offering her comfort. Rest in peace lovely girl.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Well said Marnie.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Sorry to hear about the snakes passing. I am glad to hear that some one came to her aid and made her comfortable in her last hours
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie