"Preparing For First shed" Dracorex5's Avatar

Pancur doses, anyone do self treating?

I dont plan on diving into this uninformed, so I want some opinions! Someone suggested I try deworming my wild caught snakes myself, starting with a small garter snake. I understand that weight is very important, and I have a very accurate scale. I've done panacur treatments on my geckos many a time, so I'm not unexperienced with the medication. But I need some advice on how to administer it to my snake.

How do you guys prefer to give it to your snakes? My geckos take it in their fruit mix, but snakes dont seem to comprehend the deliciousness of mango! Do you inject it in their food?

I hear that the common minimum dosage is 25 mg/ kg, but people prefer to use the stronger dose of 50 mg/ kg or even 100 mg/ kg! What is the dosage, and if any of the above work, should I go with the middle ground?

When I find the perfect dose, how do I seperate the doses? Do I give the dose every day for three days, wait two weeks, and then repeat, or do I take that final dose amount, and divide it by the number of days? So like this...
    Say I have a 1 kg garter snake (YIKES), so thats 50 mg dosage. Should I give that 50 mg for three days, skip two weeks, and then do it again for three days?

My experience with panacur is buying pre-set doses online in assorted fruity flavors for geckos who just want to be loved. I'm anxious to see what snakes are like, and it's about time I at least start learning to help them out as well!
    I've never been very good with cursive

Re: Pancur doses, anyone do self treating?

I would follow the recommended dosage by weight. No more no less.
    I inject it into a pinky or use a syringe for oral meds.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I have injected meds into pinkies and fed them to several of my animals, it's an excellent way to administer meds.

Also it's a great way to rehydrate, inject a full syringe of water (or electrolytes) into the pinky and feed it to the animal.

Great post Steve!

Where would you get deworming meds?
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

I've been told you can get it at feedstores. At least around here. Probably could get it online somewhere, too. I did a little search on google and mostly what I see says for dogs, but I'm kind of guessing it's all the same thing...
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Feed stores sell it in livestock sized quantity. If you have a friend who keeps horses llamas. Alpacās etc you might be able to split a pack with them.
    I am pulling stuff together to treat my larger garters. Im not sure I can measure dosages accurately enough to safely treat my much smaller Butlerii. (Less than 40 g. Body wt.)

"Preparing For First shed" Dracorex5's Avatar

I usually get my doses on this website that sells it flavored, but I've never done it for a snake before! Snakes dont want strawberry banana blitz
    I've never been very good with cursive

If it is inside a rodent, then I don’t think fllavor will matter much to my big eaters.
    Would a dose fit inside the body cavity of their favorite prey ?

There is a thread on this forum about making trout into a slurry with gelatine and vitamin powder then allowing it to gel interest a sort of fish meatloaf. A carefully measured and blended batch of this including medicine and scented with worm slime might work to get appropriately tiny doses into tiny snakes if great care is taken to be sure the mix is homogenous.

If it is inside a rodent, then I don’t think fllavor will matter much to my big eaters.
    Would a dose fit inside the body cavity of their favorite prey ?

There is a thread on this forum about making trout into a slurry with gelatine and vitamin powder then allowing it to gel interest a sort of fish meatloaf. A carefully measured and blended batch of this including medicine and scented with worm slime might work to get appropriately tiny doses into tiny snakes if great care is taken to be sure the mix is homogenous.

One of several posts; http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gene...nake-food.html

Get a copy of Dr. Klingenburg's book Understanding Reptile Parasites. It is one of the best books in my library, and it is inexpensive.

It covers all of the different reptile parasites, and the meds and dosages to treat them. Super valuable to have on hand.

Some meds like Flagyl and Panacur can be found at feed stores and livestock sources, but the book will help you find the right med or the right treatment, and give you dosage info.

If you are not going to see a vet, this is the next best step.

We have copies available at the ProExotics.com site.