Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Random seizures

Random seizures

So, this is just great. It's feeding day today, and I was looking for Derpy, since today he gets to have a 1/4th of a pinky, instead of pinky chunks like the rest of the babies... I found him laying under the bedding, and something looked a little off.. But I brushed it off thinking he was asleep. After I picked him up, I held one of the pieces to his mouth and he wouldn't take it... So I set him on the screen top and held it out to him again. He jumped and did a weird coil. I didn't think much of it, to be honest, because his name is 'derpy' for a reason. But then , after I pulled the pinky away and let him sit for a little bit, he jumped and coiled again with head twitching. It looks like a mild seizure, and I don't know what is causing it. I really don't want to lose him but I don't know what to do. The only thing I can think of that could, technically, cause it is the fact that I smoked near my room. I have my smoking blend, which is used for my depression. It works better than my antidepressants. I usually smoke in my bathroom with the fan (sucks air out) on so the smoke wont get around my snakes... The fan is always on when I smoke and most of the smoke goes right to the fan.
    I guess there's a possibility that he's dehydrated... He has water and everything, but he's got mental issues and maybe he forgot it was there... I don't know. Have any advice?

Also, I have a feeling someone will bash me about the smoking, but if it helps me for than pills... That's how it has to be. I'm very diligent about keeping the fans on to keep the smoke away from my snakes. I would think that if it was the smoke, the smaller snakes would have done this, too, since they're in the same tank, and they're a lot smaller than Derpy.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Re: Random seizures

Not sure what it could be. Some snakes just have issues (genetic/developmental).
    Keep us posted.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Well Derpy has always had issues, ones that have seemed to get worse as he gets older. I never really thought it would get this bad though. I mean, it started out as him just being disoriented and tumbling off of branches and hides, which is normal enough. He started acting weird with his food after that, waving his head left and right really fast. Then his eyes got a bit... Well, derpy. Sometimes one eye points up and the other goes in a random direction. I've also noticed that at times, he'll look in one direction with, say, his left eye, and his right eye will be looking around without his left eye moving. He's the biggest sweetheart, though. I really want him to make it through all of this. I mean, he's made it almost two and a half years with his little quirks and issues.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots

I'm sorry Channel. I don't know what could be wrong, but you and little Derpy are in my thoughts.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Thanks Kat. It really does mean a lot to me.I have him separated from everyone else so he can have some peace and quiet. I'm hoping he'll get better soon!
    Chantel

I hope so too. Hugs to you and Derpy!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

He's hanging in there. I've got him in a 1l 'bug box' so he can be near me at all times. I brought him with me to take a nap. He seemed to enjoy it a bit. When I checked on him, he wasn't moving at all and he was really stiff, but, before I could even say something, he started moving again. Unfortunately most of that movement was a seizure. I'm not even sure if seizure is the right term for what he's doing. When Snap was dying, she would start twitching a little bit and then death roll. I thought that was a seizure, but Derpy just has little twitching fits that make him coil up and jump. He doesn't look like he's in that much pain, but I can't say for sure. When Snap was having one of her fits, her pupils would contract to the point where you could barely evens see the pupil at all. I assumed it was because it was hurting her. With Derpy he seems relaxed.... Stroking his back gently seems to calm him down a lot too.
    Chantel

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Aw, sorry to hear that
    Sounds like it's something congenital. If he doesn't look like he's in pain, then that's good at least.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Yeah. I don't think the heat is helping. I was thinking he could be dehydrated, and now that it's cooling off just a bit he's been swimming in his little cap of water. I'm pretty sure he's had a little bit to drink. Everyone (save for the baby snakelets) rejected food today. I don't blame them... These guys are built for colder weather.
    Chantel

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Give them some ice cubes in their water then put them in it and let them see how nice the water is. (Did that with my flames n George today, they loved it) If you can put a towel covering most of the top, use a fan in the open screen area, will work to cool everyone off as well.

Best of luck with the little weirdo, Hope he makes it for you *hug* Its not easy I know, But I also know you will make him as comfortable as can be if it come down to it.

Ya'll in my thoughts dear.
    *hugs* I wish I could be there in person to hug you, It works w how much a good to make you feel better.... I know how much a hug does... I fight depression a lot too.... It is hard, but you can do anything you need to.
    Your mind is stronger than your emotions.
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt