Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

First Real Bite lol

I got my first real bite today. I was trying to dig my neurologically-damaged guy out from under his papers to feed him and I guess I smelled like food, so he latched on. This was the first time one has ever gotten the rear fangs into me, since they're usually smart enough to realize my hands aren't food. The end of my finger is still numb which is pretty surprising considering how small this guy is!
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: First Real Bite lol

Sorry to hear about that. Wow, garters can show their stuff at times. My baby granite checkered leaves my hand smelling like urine and musk every time I pick her up. She struck at me once with her mouth closed. Well, feel better and best wishes.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Rear fangs?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Probably not the correct terminology Is there a different term for the longer teeth at the back of the mouth? This bite had a 'vampire bite' type look with two punctures that bled pretty badly even for such a small snake, whereas the bites that I've had from the front of the mouth usually just have a scrape-like look to them. I was under the impression that colubrids had slightly longer teeth at the back of the mouth that were more rear-facing than those at the front that they used to really grab and hang on to prey (and work in whatever mild venom they have).
    Is this incorrect? This is totally knowledge I've gotten from forums and the like and not actual research.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Just found this on wikipedia, this is what I was talking about. I was assuming it was the enlarged teeth at the back that got me.

"Garter snakes were long thought to be nonvenomous, but recent discoveries have revealed they do, in fact, produce a mild neurotoxic venom.[10] Garter snakes cannot kill humans with the small amounts of comparatively mild venom they produce, and they also lack an effective means of delivering it. They do have enlarged teeth in the back of their mouths, but their gums are significantly larger.[11][12] The Duvernoy's gland of garters are posterior (to the rear) of the snake's eyes.[13] The mild venom is spread into wounds through a chewing action."
    Lora

I've never read anything that called a garter snake "rear-fanged" not in the sense of a true rear-fanged snake like a Hognose and many others. I've seen and felt many a garter bite and wouldn't call anything in their mouth a fang. Not in the true sense of the word.
    Welcome to the bite club Lora. Next on the list is to get a real chewer that grinds those teeth in while giving you a garter snake death stare.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Yeah, I figured fang probably wasn't the right word (I think true fangs have to be hollow, don't they?). Yeah, I happened to be on the phone when this happened so the conversation got kind of interesting.
    Lora

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

I know what you mean though.

I learned what fangs felt like when I got my tree boa lol

Yeah, I've got a ball python that can get pretty overexcited around food. It's really just a waiting game to see how long it takes before I get tagged by her.
    Lora