Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hello

New here. So a little back ground.

We have three girls, 8,6, & 5... they love the trampoline out back. Problem...a garter snake moved in under the porch. I see slugs out there ever morning, so I'm guessing he just found the food source to good to move away from.

Anyway, the girls were terrified of him lol. So, after a week of watching him come and go, I finally caught him. Carried him across the road and released him in the field. A week later, and he's back lol.

So, the girls went back to their dads for a week (joint custody, a week here, a week there) on friday. Monday I managed to catch him again. Figure I'll hold on to him till friday, do a quick lesson and transplant him again over the weekend.

Thing is, I've grown attached to him. Theres no law here preventing keeping him. But, he does belong out there not in the house. Moral decision...

Anyway, I vacated the hermies temporarily until the garter gets relocated, or gets his own enclosure.

I gave him a nightcrawler, he didnt eat it, but its only been two days, so maybe he was full, maybe he's stressed. Either way, reading here, I'm not too concerned about him not eating just yet.

I'll try to upload a pic, as I'm not sure of the subspecies, eastern I think.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Hello

Got two nightcrawlers down this guy yesterday....so at least I know he's not going to starve. It wont let me do pics just yet...I was hoping to get a positive ID from you guys...

Good to hear he/she is eating.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

I think its a he....but I've never tried sexing a snake, so I could be wrong

Make another couple of posts and you should be cleared to post pics and send messages.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed In Progress"

Those pesky garters are easy to grow attached to and it doesn't help they settle into captivity so easily, most of mine also take nightcrawlers without much hesitation straight from the wild. If you're in Northeast Arkansas it is likely an eastern garter.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Eastern is what I'm thinking...just hoping to get my guesses confirmed. He's pretty cool...I'm getting far too attached to him already

Hi, I'm New Here!

So, he shed today. As I stated, I moved the hermies to a tub and put this guy in their setup. I left there moss pit in with him. It's just a small tupperware bowl with water and java moss. How common is it for gaters to shed in water? Thats where I found the shed so it was soaking wet, but I checked him over good and looks to be a clean shed, I didn't see anything that looked like he retained any bits.

"Third shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by Will1861 View Post
    So, he shed today. As I stated, I moved the hermies to a tub and put this guy in their setup. I left there moss pit in with him. It's just a small tupperware bowl with water and java moss. How common is it for gaters to shed in water? Thats where I found the shed so it was soaking wet, but I checked him over good and looks to be a clean shed, I didn't see anything that looked like he retained any bits.

A lot of mine do this, it's annoying because I use the sheds to feed my isopod colonies and the soaking wet ones aren't as good lol.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Welcome to the club. Nice to have you here.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.