Hi, I'm New Here!

Question Hi Everyone! I have a few questions about some brand new babies my Eastern just had.

As a COMPLETE shock to me, my rescue eastern garter just gave birth! (she is a rescue bc when found, she had a jellybean sized intestinal lump on the outside of her., which was tied off and eventually fell off. The whole closed and now she's dented in where the intestine is missing. Everything else is fine though as in eating drinking defecating, she did need help shedding that one area.) I went to turn her light on in the morning and woops that is a lil baby head poking up from the bedding. I separated her from the babies. There were only 7 though, 4 alive and 3 had died. Aren't there typically more than 7? From what I've read she should have delivered anywhere between 20-40. Also, the 4 that made it will not eat. They have zero comprehension of what to do. I've cut up the worms, I'm wiggling them and nothing. I'm at a loss for what to do so that they eat. Any help is greatly appreciated!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: Hi Everyone! I have a few questions about some brand new babies my Eastern just h

Well, congrats on the rescue and your sucess with her. There is such good feelings seeing baby snakes showing up planned or unplanned. Congrats again. Depending on what literature you are reading, averages vary on litter sizes but are usually multifactorial. Including but not limited to the health of the parents, age, genetic background , enviornment and nutritional status. I would think a injury during pregnancy could impact overall health and affect litter size. Litter sizes from 4 to 94 (give or take ) can be considered when taking into account the factors mentioned. As far as the babies eating, any movement that they see gets perceived as a threat at these young ages and will make them hide rather than eat. I would consider putting any food for the babies onto a shallow lid or cap and left on the floor of the enclosure. They're driven by a escaping behavior as babies and are very shy always looking for a place to hide. Wriggling food at them will only make them more wary and decide to flee.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"Third shed In Progress"

Re: Hi Everyone! I have a few questions about some brand new babies my Eastern just h

The baby snakes may wait a few days before eating and wiggling the worms infront of them they'll just be scared of you, the best way is to cut up nightcrawlers onto a flat dish and place it in the enclosure for a few hours, don't check on the snakes or bug them at all, just leave the plate in there all day. You can also try cut up fish.

Hi, I'm New Here!

They've started to eat! They're all doing great, took a little while but they've each taken down a whole worm on their own! I was so proud. I wish wouldve known she was pregnant. Mama, who I've lovingly named Jellybean upon rescue and rehabilitation, is also eating again too.

Awesome! worms are great food.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Just noticed Jellybean has a big bruise on her belly about 2 inches above the cloaca. It's next to her old intestinal wound ☹ I'm so nervous she got hurt from having the three babies. Anyone ever heard of this or seen this after a first time mama has babies?

Don't think it would be bruising. Doesn't sound good. A Vet. is probably needed ASAP. Photo/s?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee