Hi, I'm New Here!

"Gut-loading" guppies?

I have a young Peninsula Ribbon who seems to be doing well, active climbing etc. I have been unable to get him to take anything but live guppies. I will work on other food items but if its not in the water he is uninterested. I think he ate a worm I put in his pool unless it managed to sneak out.I was wondering if there is a specific food I can give the guppies that would get him some vitamins. I dont know if guppies would take the gut loading cricket powder stuff? I have ground up aquatic turtle sticks that I am feeding tadpoles that have vitamins and minerals and calcium that I think the fish would eat. Any suggestions? Thanks!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: "Gut-loading" guppies?

Does he actively refuse dead fish? If he could be persuaded to eat dead fish you could cut a slit in the guppy and put some vitamin or calcium powder inside the fish. If he actively refuses eating live fish my suggestion isn't going to work.
    On the other hand, if the guppies are whole and healthy they should be providing good nutrition. If you can get him taking dead guppies you're on a path to get him taking other food scented with guppy.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks! I plan on trying him with the frozen silversides fish soon. He was awfully thin coming from a pet shop where he was accidently thrown out with a shipment who arriaved dead. I am just glad he is eating. When I do the silversides, I will just float them in his bowl. I will put the vitamin powder inside.I would prefer that, I really like guppies

Juvenile snake

I wouldn't worry too much. It may not be the most complete diet, but if you keep working on it, the snake may come around. In the meantime, I don't think any damage will come from a guppy only diet.