♫ Do You See What I See ♫

On 3/30/13 I had a group of albino T. sirtalis parietalis - Red Sided Garter born. As time went on it was clear that 3 of the little scrubs were falling behind the others. They refused to eat, showing no interest at all. I was able to get a couple guppies in them but that soon ended. I've offered all kinds of food but these 3 refused to eat anything.
    Today, I was outside looking for slugs and earthworms for Flicker (T. ordinoides- Northwestern Garter) as he's being a specialized eater right now. I found 1 large
    Rosy-tipped worm (Aporrectodea rosea) and a slug. I used the slug to scent a night crawler for Flick and was just about to feed him the earthworm when it dawned on me that I had never tried earthworms with my 3 trouble T.s.p. scrubs. I proceeded to their enclosure and found them out and away from the rest of their siblings (this isn't unusual for them). I offered a small chunk of earthworm to one of the holdouts. My offer was met by and immediate strike and grab. The other two were also very eager to eat the earthworm pieces. I went back outside and found a few more earthworms and served them up.
    I couldn't be happier with these little scrubs. Things are looking much better for their futures.
    Checkout the photos. Nice full bellies.
    The last two photo are of the same snake. He/she swallowed it but started to regurgitate when I picked him/her up.
    I set it down on the rack and the worm was held down. After 5 minutes I moved the little scrub back into its tub.
    One less thing to worry about.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Re: ♫ Do You See What I See ♫

They were starting to get that FTT bug eyed look. So glad they ate for you!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

They were definitely smaller then their siblings. I will try to bulk them up with the earthworms and hopefully get them switched to night crawlers and possibly pinky parts soon.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

They are beautiful, so glad they are eating you must be very relieved. I must say that I think I would be a constant nervous wreck if I breed snakes.

The eating continues as the 3 slow-eaters had earthworm pieces for breakfast.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

I had a young male ate some guppies then i couldnt get him to eat anything for weeks,i decided to force feed pinky parts...gently messaging the jaw with one hand and using tiny tweezers in the other got a pinky leg in his mouth...after 5 min of just holding it he finally swallowed it and now ever since he eats pinks all by himself.