Hi, I'm New Here!

Gartersnake death

After coming in this morning we found 1 of our gartersnakes had died. There was blood all around her mouth and also a considerable amout of blood on the mat in her tank. She had showed no previous signs of being sick. She had been eating well and active until today. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused this?

Thanks for your input.

Re: Gartersnake death

Is it possible that the snake could have gotten stuck or crushed somewhere? Does the snake have any external injuries? Does the snake have any lacerations or punctures? Was it housed with any other snakes? Is there anyone in the house that may have handled it without your knowledge?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

What do you feed and what kind of bedding do you use?
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Banned

I've seen this happen when the snake suffered an arterial aneurysm but there are many possibilities. What did it last eat? It may have suffered trauma to the digestive system/stomach. Fish bones can sometimes cause an internal puncture.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Unfortunately there are many possibilities and we've simply not got enough information to give an informed answer.

Some good questions asked so far. Other useful information would be its age, species, and how long you've had T.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Hi, I'm New Here!

The snake was in a tank by herself and there were no visible injuries.

We feed her earthworms (last she ate was Thursday 9/12), and a mat, sort of like a carpet is in her tank.

She is a hybrid of a Butler's gartersnake and a common gartersnake and was around 3 years old.

Hi, I'm New Here!

She had no visible external injuries and nothing in her tank she could have injured herself on.

She is a 3 year old female hybrid of a butler's gartersnake and a common gartersnake. We have had her since she was born.

We feed her earthworms and she has a mat in her tank.

Hope this further information helps!

Banned

Oh, this happened because they're hybrids. an abomination.

of course I'm only kidding. Sort of.

I didn't even know butlers could cross with sirtalis. I know butlers are northwestern's closest genetic relative and it's physically impossible for sirtalis and northwesterns to breed with each other.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Blood around the head and no external injury can only mean internal trauma, but he list of possibilities is long. A necropsy would have been the best way to find answers.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia