Thread: Heating.

Heating.

Just wondering what everyone uses to heat their garter vivs.It would give me a better idea what i should use Thanks

Re: Heating.

I use Zoo Med heat pads for smaller enclosures and Flex-watt heat tape on my bigger ones.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I've got a variety of heatmats under all of our vivs. Our Cuitzeos also have a lamp as they seem to like basking with a bit of extra heat.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

I use a combination of zoo med heat mats and lamps. I have the small heat mats on the warm end of the enclosure, and also a dome or hood lamp above and I use the mat or the lamp or both, depending on the amount of heat I need. For example, with my snake Cee Cee, who has a respiratory problem, I usually leave the heat mat on all the time and have the lamp on too...with a 40 watt bulb in and a red bulb at night, because I need to keep it really warm for her. I just keep the thermostat on so that it shuts off if it goes over 85 degrees. Most of the time with my other snakes, I only use the mats at night in the winter. I just use dome lamps with 40 watt bulbs for them...red bulbs for my albinos. I always have lamps in addition to mats because the snakes seem to enjoy basking...but I have thermostats to monitor the heat.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

During the winter, a 60w incandescent bulb about 1' above the land enclosure.

During the early spring and late fall, 100w incandescent bulbs above both enclosures, and a heating pad under the land enclosure.

During the summer, florescent bulbs for light only.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

So far I have used both heat mats and heat cable.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

"First shed In Progress"

I use stat controlled heat mats with my garters