Hi, I'm New Here!

New guy and new babies

Hello, I just had two separate litters two days apart this past Saturday and yesterday. The first litter was 12 and the second was 17. So now what?

They're eating sliced earthworms quite well. I also sliced up a smallish night crawler, which they also gobbled up. There appears to be a few that are not eating yet, but it's still early.

These are my first litters, and I'm not sure what I should do with them. I know the common suggestion is to just let them go, which I'll probably end up doing, but what are some other feasible options?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Images Attached Images

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: New guy and new babies

Well, congrats firstly. What would be your wish to do with them. That's what is really important. Are they Easterns? Make a plan for yourself that will make you happy. Were the parents captive bred or wild caught? The longer they (hatchlings) remain captive the more risky it will be to release them into the wild.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi, I'm New Here!

The parents were wild caught. My wish is that they live long, happy lives... Realistically, I was thinking they'd have a better chance in the wild if they all got a leg up on eating before being released. But your point about the risk of prolonged captivity makes very good sense.

We have a very large wood pile outside where the parents were caught, and it's home to many garters, browns, and a few other species, but I'm worried about them serving as food for other snakes (it's nature in action, so it doesn't bother me that much). We also have a small wooded pond on our property that is loaded with frogs, high grassy areas, our garden, etc. Suitable habitat is plentiful...just don't know which is the best place for a release.

And, yes, they're Easterns. Thank you, Albert.

Gotcha! One of the main reasons garter snakes give birth so many hatchlings is the majority of them are destined to a fate of morbidity and mortality. They just are not going to survive in the wild. That's the nature of the beast for baby garters. On the other hand they are masters at hiding and escaping. Their best chance at survival will be a release sooner than later. As tough as it will be to see them off.

Near the water is best, tadpoles, frog and toad babies are their natural meals.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    Near the water is best, tadpoles, frog and toad babies are their natural meals.
    That was my first choice - good to have the reassurance. Thanks, infernalis!

Hi, I'm New Here!

So I just let them (all but three) go at the pond. I tipped the plastic container on its side in the tall grass; they hesitated at the edge, not sure about this mysterious world, and slowly moved into their new digs. That was tough...

Been there done that. Keep us posted on the 3 you kept. Photo updates are always great.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by stanley View Post
    So I just let them (all but three) go at the pond. I tipped the plastic container on its side in the tall grass; they hesitated at the edge, not sure about this mysterious world, and slowly moved into their new digs. That was tough...
    Yeah, I knew that would be a tough pill to swallow. That was a big decision as well. I applaud you for that. Now it will stay on your mind and heart for awhile but the heaviness will lighten as you go forward with your new plans as a reptile keeper. Kudos to you and I look forward to your new projects.

Hey, at least you got to keep a few!