Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rubber Boa

Hi, I'm New Here!

Rubber Boa

Has anybody from Washington state ever caught a wild rubber boa? If so, please share. Im thinking about doing some real field herping this coming weekend and would like to know of some spots to go.

Re: Rubber Boa

I know they are in this area, but I've never seen one.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Hi, I'm New Here!

I was just looking around the internet, and i found that its not leagal to even pick one up in the wild let alone keep it. kinda sucks. i was looking forward to finding one. i remember as a kid finding them up north in port towsend, but i was so young, i didnt know the difference. lol

Yeah. I don't think I've ever seen one other than in pics. Doesn't surprise me they are protected.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

Hi, I'm New Here!

The wild life law in general is crap for this state. I can understand having a protected species, but acording to the law, you cant even touch any animal in the wild without a special permit. This includes hunting and fishing, those are easy to aquire. The other permit, you have to be a zoo to aquire!

thats ridiculous..... rubber boas are neat snakes... tough to get feeding, but once you get one eating they make great pets!! I have a male rubber boa...excellent eater, very tame snake. I have yet to find one in the wild here in Utah, but theres lots of them. a friend caught this one in Montana.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Washington is the only state with rubber boas that enforces that law.

Adult snake

They are protected in CO but that just means you can't take them home. As far as finding them, CO herpers seem to do best at night, usually road cruising. I'd put them at moderate difficulty, not as easy as P. catenfer but much easier to find than the elusive milk snake.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jon7 View Post
    Has anybody from Washington state ever caught a wild rubber boa? If so, please share. Im thinking about doing some real field herping this coming weekend and would like to know of some spots to go.
    Yes, I have found them. Unfortunately, the places I have found them are no longer suitable for any snake. Fall is actually a good time to look though. They tend to be active at night or at twilight when it's very cool. Anyway it's hit and miss with those snakes. If it's too dry or too hot they'll disappear. Conditions have to be just right for them to be found anywhere near the surface. They can be difficult in captivity as well. If they're not perfectly comfortable, they will refuse to eat. Some people have good luck getting them to eat, although even in the wild sometimes they will only eat a few times a year!

I think it's going to be too dry to find them, but we did recently get a little rain and it's going to be cool and cloudy so you never know. Look for them in natural open meadows bordering forests. Look for them in grassy places near the edge of the forest, someplace that is not far from water. The thing is, I've never been able to find them unless there was some kind of cover such as logs, boards, tin, etc. I usually find them hiding under objects.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Im gonna give it a shot. Just wont be taking any home. Lol.